Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi
I have an old HP laptop with 144a moherboard (as per the command wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer) with Samsung 4gb 2Rx8 PC3-10600s-09-10-F2 RAM
I tried to replace it with Samsung 8gb 2Rx8 PC2-10600s-09-10-F3 but faced the blue screen of death 
Internet search did not help on the issue
could you please advice on setups to make it working?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

When you do not identify your desktop or laptop PC, you tie our hands behind our backs. Help us to help you.

When logged into Windows, hold down the Windows key and tap the R key once.
That will open the Windows run dialogue

Type in msinfo32 and press enter.

The ninth line is the SKU and the HP product number. Kindly post it in your next reply in your thread.

The System SKU/Product ID will enable us to determine the hardware configuration of your notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

XU633EA#ACB
not sure if it gives you correct config as initially the laptop was supplied with i5 processor which was damaged during usage because of overheating
that's why whole motherboad was replaced
now it's i3 M330 on M144a (65.2e) motherboard
BIOS F.13, 14.09.2010, SMBIOS 2.6 

HP Recommended

The system info dialogue is Windows operating system reporting what is currently installed so it should be correct.

You own a 15-ba055sa laptop.

You can purchase guaranteed compatible memory from Kingston Memory in the UK directly from the manufacturer.

https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/laptop/hp/15-ba-series/hp-15-ba055sa-laptop

Replace memory modules as a pair when upgrading. Simply adding a module will often give the result that you are experiencing.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It did not let add 2nd RAM module and as I understood it was impossible for this motherboard
that's why I tried o replace 4gb 2Rx8 PC3-10600s-09-10-F2 RAM with 8gb 2Rx8 PC3 10600s-09-10-F3 of the same producer (Samsung) 
not sure if buying kingston will help
I thought smth should be changed in BIOS or Windows
please advise

HP Recommended

adding a second module that is not absolutely identical to the original module will result in what you are seeing.

Install memory as a pair of guarantied compatible identical memory modules for the upgrade to work right the first time.

Buying Kingston's guarantied compatible memory will help. 

When you purchase guaranteed compatible memory from a major memory manufacturers website, their reputation is on the line.

"I thought smth should be changed in BIOS or Windows"  I have no idea as to what that acronym means. 

You have a prebuilt laptop, which does not allow changes of memory  primary/secondary timing and  soDIMM  modulevoltage in the BIOS.

Upgrading a laptop's memory is not the same as upgrading a gaming or enthusiast motherboard in a DIY PC.

I built the PC I an typing this on and I used the MSI motherboard qualified memory list for memory to save myself the hassle you are facing.

The difference is that I could have changed the primary and secondary timings and soDIMM voltage to match what was required to make some other non guaranteed memory work. You can't do that.

HP Recommended

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-16 at 16.23.37.jpegbought as advised kingston 8gb ddr3l 1600mhz 1.35v (KCP3L16S8/8) - nothing has changed
blue screen of death, messages system threadexception not handled and wdf01000sys
restarted itself couple of times then colourful screen
any thouhts?

HP Recommended

wdf01000sys error means there are likely to be drivers issues.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/wdf01000-sys-bsod-what-it-is-how-to-fix-it/

Put the original memory configuration back and go to the HP driver web document and verify that your drivers are up to date and then try the new memory again.

The up side of this is that the guarantee of compatibility  for the memory by KIngston means you should get your money back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.