Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a dv6t with the i7  720m processory from about 3 yrs ago build. I think it has clarksfield processor. I have a 2 x 2 gig installed for total of 4gig now from the original build.   I am wondering (assuming Win  7 64 bit home premium which supports up to 16gig), will this laptop only support 8gig?  I ran a tool and it has a reference of Logical/Chipset memory banks  maximum memory installable of 32gig and a reference to Computer memory controller Max installable memory of 8gig.  So what gives? Will the laptop support 2x8gig memory sticks or just 2x4gig memory sticks?  The DV6T 2000 CTO Entertainment laptop.  If it supports 16 gig, I would like to just buy one of the 8gig rather than 2x4gig sticks. And maybe try to use one of the 2 gigs with the 8gig giving me 10gig for now...or just wait to see if I need a 2nd 8gig.  And will a bios upgrade support the 16 gig?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured I would update my own question with the truth and working answer which hopefully helps anyone else that stubmles into this.  But in a nutshell the DV6t 2000 CTO models one could order about 2009 DO DO DO support 16gig and NOT just 8 gig. I have 2 slots. I have the 720QM quad first edition, yes first edition. Both Intel site and Memory checker sites are WRONG!  The saying was 1st gen cpu quads do not support more than 2x4gig=8gigs.  In fact one of my tools suggests I can put in up to 32gig assuming I can find 2 x 16gig memory sticks that I don't even think exist yet for general sale let alone affordability. Spread the word as hopefully this will help others. I bought memory at egghead and figured I would chance it since I read several reviews and comments in various locations suggesting they tried 16gig and indeed it worked for the 720QM processor.  I did not have to update my BIOS that HP last suggested I install circa 2010ish as opposed to the 4 or so that are available today for my model but I think were updated to support other things my model did not require. I ran memory tests too in 5 iterations without issue and in fact it booted right away with no problems with WIN 7 home premium recognizing the sticks. I also checked the CPU64z tool  tab for memory.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has a generation 1 i7 processor and the mobile intel series 55 chipset.

The maximum memory you can install with that hardware is 2 x 4 GB of PC3-10600 memory.

Please see the processor specs at the link below. Under the memory section, you will see the max is 8 GB.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-1_60-GHz)

Paul

HP Recommended

what do they mean on the intel site when it says dependent on memory? I guess in any event that 8gig limit is real..darn. Also 10600  1333 is the one to get as there seems to be a few out there like 10666, 1066 and others. Thanks for replying. I should have ordered that newegg sale on 8gig for 24bucks before the sale ended today.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You definitely want PC3-10600, not 10660 or 10666.

I dunno what they mean by "dependent on memory type." Makes no sense to me.  You can install 8 GB of PC3-8500 or 8 GB of PC3-10600, so I don't get it.

It is not like you can install more of one speed and less of another.

If you can get this on sale, or even if you can't, this is the brand I would get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

HP Recommended

I am not so sure. Many forums outside HP show that a 16 gig 2x8gig sticks are supported even though many docs say 8 gig. So now I question if the docs are outdated and is it more dependent on the HP bios taking advantage of it rather than the cpu itself supporting it. So can you answer how I can find out if my current F.13 bios or the newer one HP has to download for my DV6t-2000 would support 16gig?

HP Recommended

Below are the BIOS releases. Click on each one of them and read the notes.

None add support for additional memory.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/previousVersions?softwareitem=ob-88252-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=40...=

Given that I have no information to the contrary, and that the processor specs directly from Intel state the maximum amount of memory that can be addressed by the i7-720QM processor is 8 GB, I would say that installing 16 Gb in your machine is taking a huge gamble.

Crucial also states max for the chipset is 8 GB.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=05543291A5CA7304

I have personally gone beyond the manual by installing 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 in my HP 6910p, which all manuals stated the max was 4 GB.

The difference was that I knew the processor and chipset supported 8 GB.

I cannot find any documentation where the chipset and processor in your model supports 16 GB.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input. I saw the bios area download. But there is a few missing from my version to the ones that are there to download.  I don't know how many between F.13 and the first on that download page of F.1AA and of course up thru the latest.  I suppose the worse thing is it might only use 8 of the 16 and for only 50 bucks cost of 16 now, I am willing to take that chance hoping it does get to 16. Someone also showed me this link in another question earlier in 2011 I found.  It matches my thought but as you say machine dependent. Regarding the memory companies, they probably copy what they specs say but if the specs are not right orup to date, its all wrong.   Thanks again.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820047

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

All that link does is tell you how much memory different versions of windows operating systems can address.

More important than that is how much memory the hardware can address.

I realize that an 8 GB memory module is relatively inexpensive, and I support your decision for wanting to give it a try.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes.

I just don't think it is going to work, so don't get your hopes up.

HP Recommended

I wont but I surely will reply here if it works or not. Hope to try it by the end of DEC....why gotta wait on my Amazon gift cards to use up...why buy now otherwise.

HP Recommended

Good luck!

I hope it works, I and look forward to hearing back from you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.