Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15 Notebook PC - E1P05AV
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Previously, I used my 2.5 year old Envy Notebook PC plugged into my office LAN.  Last month, the ethernet adapter stopped working and I have to connect to the wifi in the office. When I check the device manager, an ethernet adapter is not even listed.  Is this defect "easy" to fix?  Is there a particular part number I should bring to the repairman? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The wired ethernet chip is soldered to the motherboard so there is no way to fix it if it has died other than replace the motherboard. Did you check the BIOS to see if maybe onboard ethernet has somehow been disabled? A USB 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter would be much cheaper than replacing the motherboard. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-USB3E1002-SuperSpeed-Ethernet-ChromeOS/dp/B00N4981D2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U...

The only way to know for 100% sure if it is the motherboard is to reinstall the OS to see if maybe some kind of software corruption has knocked it out, or boot the system from a Linux Live type disk to see if an alternate OS can "see" the wired ethernet chip. Even if the plug were physically damaged you would still see the device in the device manager. You might see if there are any hidden devices in device manager just to turn over all the rocks.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The wired ethernet chip is soldered to the motherboard so there is no way to fix it if it has died other than replace the motherboard. Did you check the BIOS to see if maybe onboard ethernet has somehow been disabled? A USB 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter would be much cheaper than replacing the motherboard. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-USB3E1002-SuperSpeed-Ethernet-ChromeOS/dp/B00N4981D2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U...

The only way to know for 100% sure if it is the motherboard is to reinstall the OS to see if maybe some kind of software corruption has knocked it out, or boot the system from a Linux Live type disk to see if an alternate OS can "see" the wired ethernet chip. Even if the plug were physically damaged you would still see the device in the device manager. You might see if there are any hidden devices in device manager just to turn over all the rocks.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Hi,

My only suggestion would be to try downloading, saving and installing this LAN driver:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-ENVY-15-j100-Quad-Edition-Notebook-PC-s...

If you're not able to see any missing drivers exclamation mark in Device Manager, then driver is of no use because you don't have the hardware listed.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

my bad

posted to old post

the date box , I had wrong.... I know better and just forgot to push date,

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

redacted.

HP Recommended

sorry op closed responses.

HP Recommended

Dear savvy2,

Thank you for the input.

I thought I had closed out my issue with accepting an earlier response as my solution.  I have been using  the recommended USB wifi adapter for the last several months and it has worked well. 

I apologize for any confusion caused by  using the Product # (E1P05AV) versus the Model # (15t-j100). 

Regards,

SOC_Fuse

HP Recommended

i forget to click date , at HP.com

it does not default to current today posts. I must force it

and i  forget some times (old fart)

sorry to post to Feb post, very sorrry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.