Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can't afford to buy a new laptop. Asking if it is possible to improve the storage of the ax022nr. There is not enough free space in the 32gb eMMC to update windows or to restore the computer. Need to know if this is an option before buying an SD card for it. I much rather the storage be internal whether it is a Hard Disk Drive or a Solid State.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there are no options to increase the storage in that model series.

The problem with using a SD card is that it will be of hardly any benefit for getting around not having enough space for Windows updates and whatnot.

All you will be able to do is to store personal files on the SD card.

What I've had to do periodically (like every couple of years), is to clean install W10 on the PC and start with a fresh installation of the latest W10 build.

I run very few programs on the PC since there is hardly any free space even with deleting all partitions on the drive and reinstalling W10.

I use this free utility which keeps junk files to a minimum, as well as the Windows disk cleanup utility and I select the cleanup system files option.

Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool (wisecleaner.com)

I bought a 64 GB micro-SD card for the notebook to keep my files on, which is more than enough space for those.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there are no options to increase the storage in that model series.

The problem with using a SD card is that it will be of hardly any benefit for getting around not having enough space for Windows updates and whatnot.

All you will be able to do is to store personal files on the SD card.

What I've had to do periodically (like every couple of years), is to clean install W10 on the PC and start with a fresh installation of the latest W10 build.

I run very few programs on the PC since there is hardly any free space even with deleting all partitions on the drive and reinstalling W10.

I use this free utility which keeps junk files to a minimum, as well as the Windows disk cleanup utility and I select the cleanup system files option.

Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool (wisecleaner.com)

I bought a 64 GB micro-SD card for the notebook to keep my files on, which is more than enough space for those.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. Now that I know that upgrading the storage isn't possible, I can start looking for that SD card and an external drive. Prime example of Planned Obsolescence. Leave the customer no choice but to buy a new laptop every few years. Thanks for answering my question Paul_Tikkanen and sorry for rambling.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'll never understand what HP was thinking when they put 32 GB eMMC cards in the Stream notebooks.

There were so many customer complaints that they quit that practice and started installing 64 GB eMMC drives in the notebooks.

I guess that was better, but they should just quit using that type of drive altogether.

An eMMC drive's performance is somewhere in-between a mechanical hard drive and a SATA SSD.

There really nothing more than a glorified SD card that boots.

With M.2 SSD's readily available, that would be the best option to use nowadays, but I think they still offer 64 GB eMMC cards in some notebooks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.