Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I am having an issue with my USB Type C port on my EliteBook 1040 G3.  Can the USB C port on this laptop be used to pass video?  I have looked through the documentation on line, but it makes no reference to the the USB C being able to act like a display port.

I purchased a travel monitor (ASUS) that uses USB C, but when I plug in the monitor in the USB C port all I get is Windows does not recognise this device".  I have update all my HP drivers, and all appears to be in order.

So my question is, can this laptop use the USB C port for video, and if so how does one enable this.

Thank You!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

AnyOne?  Just wanting to confirm if this laptop can pass video out the USB-C port?

HP Recommended

I having the same problem as well. Just purchased the USB-C to displayport adapter - cant get it to work

HP Recommended

I never received an answer, or was able to get it to work.

HP Recommended

I will call HP Support - will post as soon as I get the information or can get it to work

HP Recommended

Any Luck from Support!

HP Recommended

Same here but 820 G3, I think the question is, does the support craig.t.combs DisplayPort Alt Mode.   I have seen a DisplayPort to USB-C cable and I would like to know if that would work.

HP Recommended

I contacted support the the USB-C port does not support DisplayPort Alt Mode  which is needed.  I'm going to try USB-A to USB-C with DisplayLink while I wait for a display port to USB-C cable from what I can tell it should work

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the same issue with a recently purchased USB-C to DVI cable from Startech. Plugging in the cable immediately gave me the "DisplayPort connection might not work. Try using a different cable." message.

I haven't been in my main office to plug the new G3 into the docking station yet, but I'm now worried that this notebook lacks DisplayPort capability entirely. If so, that's a problem, as all my docked monitors are DisplayPort. 

Seeing the ports listed in the specs, I assumed that DP would have been integrated into USB-C. Otherwise, the only video out is HDMI, which is highly useless without expensive active converters.

Fingers crossed this is a software or firmware issue.

HP Recommended

There is an accessory here that would suggest at least some Elite book series notebooks can use USB C for video: 

(link removed)

Seems surprising that the 3rd edition of the 1040 wouldn't be able to?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.