Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab241nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

Can anyone help me by pointing me to the extended datasheet for this notebook?

I already found this one but it doesn't tell me the maximum amount of memory compatible with my notebook and it doesn't tell me the amount of memory slots available on the motherboard.

Also, I would like to build-in a SSD drive. The Intel Rapid Storage UI shows that one of the three ports on my motherboard is still free, does that mean I can add a SSD drive without removing my HDD or CD drive?

Thanks in advance,

kvanzuijlen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The closest you will get is the Service Manual here:

Manual

This says "Star Wars" but it covers other models with the same hardware platform. 

Your model uses a SATA SSHD standard 2.5 inch drive and yes, there is an open M.2 mSSD port. 

It has 2 memory slots and can take up to 16 gigs of RAM. The inner workings are a bit difficult to access and doing so will jeopardize the warranty but instructions are availble in the Manual or if you post back here with more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The closest you will get is the Service Manual here:

Manual

This says "Star Wars" but it covers other models with the same hardware platform. 

Your model uses a SATA SSHD standard 2.5 inch drive and yes, there is an open M.2 mSSD port. 

It has 2 memory slots and can take up to 16 gigs of RAM. The inner workings are a bit difficult to access and doing so will jeopardize the warranty but instructions are availble in the Manual or if you post back here with more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hey,

Thanks for the quick response.

I just want to have 1 thing clarified; does the free M.2 mSSD slot mean there is also free space in the laptop casing for a SSD drive without having to remove any hardware? Also, will the power supply supply enough for an extra piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the quick response,

kvanzuijlen

HP Recommended

Yes there is space for adding an M.2 drive to what is already there without removing anything. Getting to it is a bit of a technical challenge and I want to be sure you understand what kind of device an M.2 mSSD is. Sometimes called a "gumstick" drive it is a little bigger than a memory module. It is not the same as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. And finding an M.2 that will work with your computer requires some advanced understanding as the storage device market is in a state of confusion right now with different, incompatible devices that look identical. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for helping me this good @Huffer!

Next question, just to confirm, this one will fit: SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD M.2 250 GB (samsung.com shop), right?

Thanks in advance,

kvanzuijlen

EDIT:

Samsung SM951 (NVMe) 256GB (Samsung.com productsite), and/or will this one fit?

HP Recommended

Nope stick with the 850 Evo SATA and not the SM951. The former is a SATA disk and the latter is NVME aka PCI-e and will not work. If you already bought one send it to me since I do have a Zbook Mobile workstation that will take the NVME, but yours will not. I am just kidding of course. 

The 850 Evo M.2 in the 2280 form factor will work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.