Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
p6717me-m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP p6717me-m , running a Nvidia GEforce405 and 4GB RAM factory default. Im a gamer and mainly use the pc to play games like Counter strike: global offensive . But im only able to run the game in ultra low details and still get only 30 fps if im lucky. Therefore im looking to make upgrade to the pc to get more fps. I would like to know what components of the pc should i be upgrading for better fps. Ive been told its the graphic card and RAM that needs to be upgraded by some friends. If so whats the best graphic card and RAM mermory compatible with this model? Pls help..thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@djbboii wrote:

Hello,

I have a HP p6717me-m , running a Nvidia GEforce405 and 4GB RAM factory default. Im a gamer and mainly use the pc to play games like Counter strike: global offensive . But im only able to run the game in ultra low details and still get only 30 fps if im lucky. Therefore im looking to make upgrade to the pc to get more fps. I would like to know what components of the pc should i be upgrading for better fps. Ive been told its the graphic card and RAM that needs to be upgraded by some friends. If so whats the best graphic card and RAM mermory compatible with this model? Pls help..thank you.

Here are the product specifications for the HP Pavilion p6717me Desktop PC.  Based on the specs, there are 3 things that you could upgrade to improve your gaming (and overall) performance.  I've listed them in the order recommended.

1.  RAM Upgrade:  Your unit shipped with 4GB of RAM so you should upgrade it to 8, 12, or 16 total (16 GB MAX).  

2.  GPU (video card) Upgrade:  I would definitely recommend upgrading your GPU.  You can get any PCI Express x16 card that will fit physically into the slot.  The only limitation here is your power supply unit (PSU) only offering 300W of power.  Most of the better graphics cards will require a minimum of 450-500W of power.   The power supply is a standard ATX power supply so you should be able to upgrade it easily if you want to upgrade the video card.

3.  CPU upgrade:  Your unit shipped with an Intel i5 CPU and it could be upgraded to an i7 CPU.  Models and information are listed in the specs link above.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@djbboii wrote:

Hello,

Here are the product specifications for the HP Pavilion p6717me Desktop PC.  Based on the specs, there are 3 things that you could upgrade to improve your gaming (and overall) performance.  I've listed them in the order recommended.

1.  RAM Upgrade:  Your unit shipped with 4GB of RAM so you should upgrade it to 8, 12, or 16 total (16 GB MAX).  

2.  GPU (video card) Upgrade:  I would definitely recommend upgrading your GPU.  You can get any PCI Express x16 card that will fit physically into the slot.  The only limitation here is your power supply unit (PSU) only offering 300W of power.  Most of the better graphics cards will require a minimum of 450-500W of power.   The power supply is a standard ATX power supply so you should be able to upgrade it easily if you want to upgrade the video card.

3.  CPU upgrade:  Your unit shipped with an Intel i5 CPU and it could be upgraded to an i7 CPU.  Models and information are listed in the specs link above.

HP Recommended
Thank you.. I have one more question.. What do you mean by a graphic card that will physically fit? As in is there any dimensions i should be looking out for when I buy the card? And also is there any limitations to the gpu memory like how u mentioned 16gb max for the ram? Thanks again for the reply.
HP Recommended

@djbboii wrote:
Thank you.. I have one more question.. What do you mean by a graphic card that will physically fit? As in is there any dimensions i should be looking out for when I buy the card? And also is there any limitations to the gpu memory like how u mentioned 16gb max for the ram? Thanks again for the reply.

You would really need to look in your case where the current GPU is and see how big of a card would fit in there.  It can differ by model configuration so it's hard to tell for me.  There aren't any limitations you would need to worry about.  All of the dedicated GPUs have their own memory onboard.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot, you have been really helpful. Appreciate it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.