Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4320s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have laptop HP 4320s with chipset intel HM57, socket rPGA989 on motherboard and i5-480M (35W). Could someone please answer is it possible to upgrade cpu from first generation to 2nd or 3nd generation core? For example, to i7-3632QM (35W) with rPGA988B?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Then put it in there and see what happens but don't say I did not tell you. You can install the processors listed in the Service Manual for your model laptop. It is not just physical compatibility of the socket it is firmware and other limitations. I have never heard of anyone successfully installing a 3rd gen processor onto a 1st gen motherboard. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No. The socket is not the same. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer. Could you please clarify the information about Sockets G1 and G2 from Wikipedia: "there are Socket G/rPGA 989 sockets that can take Socket G1/rPGA 988A or Socket G2/rPGA 988B packaged processors". In my case I have the laptop with that rPGA 989 socket compatible with both of i5-480M and i7-3632QM (pga version) CPUs.

HP Recommended

Then put it in there and see what happens but don't say I did not tell you. You can install the processors listed in the Service Manual for your model laptop. It is not just physical compatibility of the socket it is firmware and other limitations. I have never heard of anyone successfully installing a 3rd gen processor onto a 1st gen motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time and help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.