Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me please?

I have an HP  Compaq 2510p notebook which on start up displays this error message:

'Your Bios Failed to complete the update'

A few seconds later in goes to the HP Invent screen. and then back to the previous error message. These two screens cycle endlessly and there is not a single key stroke I can use to gain access to the bios settings. 

Presseing F9, F10, F12 or F-anything works. No key commands work at all. Nor can I boot from internal drive, CD, USB etc.

How can I regain access to this faulty machine to restore or repair the bios please?

Here is a link to images of the two alternating screens i am stuck in:

http://postimg.org/gallery/2oa73dj8q/

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows Vista to Notebook PCs - Envy, Pavilion, Presario. - Hp Forum Moderator

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It seems you have a similar issue to this model (which is basically the same model as yours except with the 14.1" display).

/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-ZBook/Issue-with-BIOS-update-on-Compaq-6910p/m-p/2361103#M165620

Your situation seems a bit more serious than mine was, because I (an others on this thread) was able to get into windows, and flash back to F.17.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Ok so I think I have managed to get the Compaq 2510p to recognise an external floppy drive as it starts reading flooy disks when I restart the laptop.

Does anyone know what I need to put on this floppy disk that the laptop will read and execute to restore the bios please?

HP Recommended

Hi:

It seems you have a similar issue to this model (which is basically the same model as yours except with the 14.1" display).

/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-ZBook/Issue-with-BIOS-update-on-Compaq-6910p/m-p/2361103#M165620

Your situation seems a bit more serious than mine was, because I (an others on this thread) was able to get into windows, and flash back to F.17.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I can not get into windows in any form what so ever.. even booting off a DOS floppy disk does not work.

The solution on the thread link you provide are quite consusion.. some say flash it to Version F.17, others F.15, yet others F.15 A and then back up to F19..

My goodness what a mess!

All the links in that thread are loing dead too so where does one download all these (F)BIOS files?

Kind of dissapointing that nowhere have HP themselves offered help to anyone. 

Are there any simple and clear instructions anywhere on how to do this via floppy disk?

All I can find are these.. and they don't correspond to anything at all in that  thread:

https://driverscollection.com/?H=Compaq%202510p&By=HP&SS=BIOS

And here in the HP 2510P Drivers page there are no BIOS files at all..

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3355636&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4057

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul for your reply.. I managed to glean the information I needed form the thread link you posted and completely resolved the entire issue.

Laptop is up and running perfectly again. :smileywink:

So pleased. Very grateful. Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Tikkanen, I have a friend and he is also having this issue. I clicked on the link you provided but it takes me to a page that explains how to send a fax. Would you happen to have the link needed for the BIOS issue? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi, @duanebendt

Unfortunately, I cannot find that discussion anymore.

HP Recommended

No worries Paul, i appreciate you looking. Have a gerat day.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The fix was to basically install the next previous version BIOS.

That's what worked for me on my 6910p.  F19 caused the error, and flashing it back to F17 (the version prior to F19) resolved the problem.

I went from a much older BIOS revision, right to the latest one (F19) and I guess the PC didn't like it.

Then you could flash back to F19 from F17, but I declined to do so.  Once bit, twice shy.

You have a great day too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.