Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Compaq nc6320
Microsoft Windows XP

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my old nc6320 that I use for nothing more than retro gaming. CPU-Z reports that I'm running a Core 2 Duo T5550, but, I'm looking to upgrade to the T7600 2 GHz model that was an optional purchase. Is there a possibility of an upgrade with my current model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to install the T7600 in your notebook.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the list of supported processors.

It is not listed in chapter 1 of your notebook's service manual as supported but neither is the T5550.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

This updated link shows up to the T7200 was supported in the nc6320.

ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find manuals online!

However, the nc6400 which is the same model as your notebook but has a 16:9 display supports the T7600.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the T5550 and the T7600:

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to install the T7600 in your notebook.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the list of supported processors.

It is not listed in chapter 1 of your notebook's service manual as supported but neither is the T5550.

This updated link shows up to the T7200 was supported in the nc6320.

ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find manuals online!

However, the nc6400 which is the same model as your notebook but has a 16:9 display supports the T7600.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the T5550 and the T7600:

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

HP Recommended

That helped a bunch, mind if I ask what RAM i should use? I do recall the laptop has only a limit of 4 gigs but, I keep confusing the numbers on what specific RAM i should use.

HP Recommended

You can use DDR2-667 MHz (PC2-5300), or DDR2-800 MHz (PC2-6400) memory 2 x 2 GB is the maximum. 

The DDR2-800 memory will run at 667 MHz.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.