Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-k075ng Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Community,

I just registered on the forum to ask the following questions:

1) I was thinking about upgrading my RAM (why is it a 8gb and a 4gb anyway? Are there benefits?). At first I wanted to put in 2x16gb modules, but that would be rather expensive. So that leaves me with putting in another, identical, 8gb module, or two different modules with 1866mhz each (i think 1866mhz is the fastest one that would fit). Can the mainboard and CPU handle quicker RAM? Is it worth upgrading? Is there any noticable difference between 1600mhz and 1866mhz?

2) When I switched my SSD with a 1tb 860 Evo, I reinstalled Windows and every driver. Including the fingerprint reader. But for some reason, the reader has stopped working. I don´t remember how and where I got the driver. HP´s website is not very helpful either. Can you help me finding the driver again?

It´s not that big of an issue since everything else works fine, but I´d be happy if I restored the notebook to it´s original state (except for the upgrades).

Regards,

some guy whose car got scrapped

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know why HP installed 12 GB of memory in your notebook.

That was not the best configuration, but what is better...2 x 4 GB running in dual channel mode or 12 GB running in single channel mode? 

I would say the 12 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better since you have more memory.

12 GB runs in single channel mode and 2 x 8 GB would run in the higher performing dual channel mode.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

c04409752.pdf (hp.com)

The memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

2 x 8 GB of DDR3L-1600 memory is supported.

Your notebook was not supported by HP for W10, so the only suggestion I can offer would be to install the W8.1 fingerprint driver from your notebook's support page.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66110.exe

Use this W10 fingerprint reader software if you use the fingerprint reader.

This package contains the HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software for the supported notebook models and operating systems. This software protects identity information and account access using the computer owner's fingerprint.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp86501-87000/sp86959.exe 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know why HP installed 12 GB of memory in your notebook.

That was not the best configuration, but what is better...2 x 4 GB running in dual channel mode or 12 GB running in single channel mode? 

I would say the 12 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better since you have more memory.

12 GB runs in single channel mode and 2 x 8 GB would run in the higher performing dual channel mode.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

c04409752.pdf (hp.com)

The memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

2 x 8 GB of DDR3L-1600 memory is supported.

Your notebook was not supported by HP for W10, so the only suggestion I can offer would be to install the W8.1 fingerprint driver from your notebook's support page.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66110.exe

Use this W10 fingerprint reader software if you use the fingerprint reader.

This package contains the HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software for the supported notebook models and operating systems. This software protects identity information and account access using the computer owner's fingerprint.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp86501-87000/sp86959.exe 

HP Recommended

I really appreciate your answer, thank you!

The fingerprint reader works just like it´s supposed to again. And the service manual is very useful too. I noticed that this notebook came with various configurations. Can you swap the CPU out? I did not pay attention to whether it was soldered on the board or not when I changed the thermal paste a while ago.

Currently, I have the i7-4510U and GTX 850M installed. I am happy with the GPU, but since I use this notebook for some games, the CPU seems to be a little too slow. Getting a new PC would be a better solution, I´m aware, but I kind of got attached to this one.

BTW, I just noticed that the manual states that my configuration was "for use with HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC models only" on page 11, Processors. I don´t understand what that´s supposed to mean, I doublechecked too.

Best wishes

Edit:

I messed up replying to @Paul_Tikkanen

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Any Intel processor that ends in a 'U' is an integral part of the motherboard and is not upgradable unless you replace the motherboard with one listed in chapter 3 of the service manual that may come with a better processor.

It would probably be very hard to find a better motherboard nowadays.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.