Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Qu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My son's notebook has come loose on the left hand side at the hinge.  He's in college 300 miles away currently.  The unit is about 2 years old and appears to be a common problem per the forums.  How can this be fixed?  can you buy a complete case?  Could there be a missing screw? Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe it is usually a screw that has come loose and maybe even dropped out. If his school has a Tech dept they may be able to replace the screw for him. Or maybe a local Best Buy, Staples,etc.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I believe it is usually a screw that has come loose and maybe even dropped out. If his school has a Tech dept they may be able to replace the screw for him. Or maybe a local Best Buy, Staples,etc.

HP Recommended

I figure as much.  It does appear that sometimes the plastic back needs to be repaired as well.  Each case different I guess.

HP Recommended

In some cases the plastic does get cracked from the loose screw/flexing hinge. In others the hole that the screw goes in may be a bit worn from flexing caused by the loose screw before it finally falls out. If it were my laptop (and the plastic is not acually damaged/cracked) I would probably replace the screw after applying a little locktite to the threads.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.