Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Elitebook 8460p Laptop Shuts Down Unexpectedly.

I own an HP Elitebook 8460p laptop. It keeps shutting down suddenly while I'm using it, without any warning. Sometimes it happens after 30 minutes, and other times it can vary. When it shuts down, the screen goes black, and the fans run for a few seconds before stopping. Sometimes it restarts on its own, and other times it stays off.

To try and fix it, I've replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out all the vents, but the issue continues. I've also reinstalled Windows, but that hasn't helped. I've even tested it without the battery, just using the power adapter, and the problem still occurs. Likewise, running it solely on the battery doesn't solve the issue.

I'm not sure what's causing this problem. Any help would be appreciated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.