Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-j1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried booting up my HP Envy 15t-j1000 Select Edition yesterday morning and I get no response from it what so ever. At first I thought I had left it on overnight depleting the battery. However, after much troublshooting  (removing the battery and trying to start on just AC power, hard resetting, trying a different AC Charger, removing RAM Modules and other componenets) I still cant get it to power up. The Power LED next to where my AC adapter plugs into it wont light up either. It's as if the entrie machine is completely dead which doesnt make sense as its been runing perfectly without any issues.

Also, it does have beats audio but no beats buttons on the chasis (as far as i can tell) as I know that is a reported issue causing some laptops with it not to boot.

PLEASE HELP!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DrexLock,

Thank you for your update.

I grasp you have now changed the power button board and the issue remains. 

The light indicates power is getting to the notebook. Having replaced the power button board you know power is going to the motherboard, but it seems to end there.

The next step would be to replace the motherboard.  As they tend to be expensive, you may wish to do a price comparison to see if replacing the motherboard , or purchasing a new notebook is the better option for you.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Bump

HP Recommended

Is there anywhere online to buy verified replacement parts for slightly older HP Envy Laptops? I tried Partsurfer but it kept crashing on me and anywhere I have been able to find Envy parts the part i need is for a different model.

My Laptop gave up on me sometime overnight saturday  into sunday morning and I get no response from it what so ever. I have a feeling its the motherboard but havent been able to find the exact board to replace teh existing now dead board.

HP Recommended

Hi @DrexLock,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that when you try to power on your notebook it does not respond.  The light on the power connection on the notebook does light up indicating power to that point.

When you try to power it on, do you hear the fan and or hard drive spin up?

Do you see any blinking or flashing lights on the keyboard or hear any beeps?

Heres are links  that should assist you  in overcoming this issue.

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 😎

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this helped to overcome this difficulty, please choose solution provided to allow other people to locate it with greater ease.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1

When I attempt to turn my laptop on there is no reaction, the screen, lights & fans are remain off no matter what i've tried.. When I plug the AC Power cord in the LED light does not even turn on indicating that it is recieving power. I've tried turning it on with the bettery installed, on AC Power alone, with both battery and AC Power, with and without all add on components installed and removed. No matter what I tried I cannot get any part of my laptop to turn on, activate or show any signs of life what so ever.

HP Recommended

Hi @DrexLock,

Thank you for your response.

If the light does not come on when you connect the power adapter then it is possible that the power button board has failed.

Please contact HP support for assistance or repair options.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

If you are not in warranty and may  considering doing a self repair I am providing a link to the HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC and HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service guide.

Please note chapter 3, page 19, item 3 for the power button board part number.  You may also consider a local repair shop if you are out of warranty.  They would be able to confirm what the exact issue is and what your options are.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkels

I replaced the power button board like you suggested but my laptop still wont power on and no lights/fans will turn on. What else would cause it to become completely unresoponsive?

HP Recommended

Hi @DrexLock,

Thank you for your update.

I grasp you have now changed the power button board and the issue remains. 

The light indicates power is getting to the notebook. Having replaced the power button board you know power is going to the motherboard, but it seems to end there.

The next step would be to replace the motherboard.  As they tend to be expensive, you may wish to do a price comparison to see if replacing the motherboard , or purchasing a new notebook is the better option for you.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

@DrexLock has posted a very specific and detailed question:

he did specify clearly that the laptop is DEAD, completely lifeless; yet you @Sparkles1 keep replying with pre-fabricated answers which not only do not help, but also do not provide any real solution whatsoever!

I am very pissed off and I am not even DrexLock himself !

To top it up, after suggesting the replacement of the whole motherboard (which will cost him more than buying a new laptop), you tag this thread as [SOLVED] !

It is NOT SOLVED; "SOLVED" would be if you provided a solution that would make DrexLock's laptop come back to life. 

This thread should be marked [UNSOLVED] and [UNSOLVABLE].

Now, to the point ....

I have now on my desk a friend's DEAD HP ENVY model 15-k039TU showing exactly the same simptoms. Switched off at the end of the day, and never came back on again.

No noises, no fans spinning, no NOTHING! IT'S COMPLETELY DEAD. I don't know how to make it clearer!

I also tried all what DrexLock tried, so I will not repeat that list (including replacing the power supply). 

I have not replaced any board, and I am not willing to. This laptop was purchased (by a friend of mine, I wouldn't have bought it, as I am well aware of the issue I'll describe in a minute below ...) new December 2015 and I believe one can safely assume it should last more than few months (today is 5/09/2016).

It is widely known (an extensive collection of threads can be found in many dedicated forums) that HP's laptops (and others, for sure, but HP's in particular ...) suffer from the "cold soldering" sindrome.

In other words, when the various boards are manufactured (in some cheap chinese facility, I must think, otherwise this issue wouldn't keep coming up at all), the soldering of the many SMT (Surface Monted) components, integrated circuits in particular), is not properly carried out.

The end result is that the laptop "lives" few months, and then dies.

The only solution to this (other than replacing the various boards, which is a non-solution) is to take apart the whole laptop, and "cook" in an owen at about 180 degrees or so for about 10 to 15 minutes the boards so that the tin is re-melted and the 100's of thousands of tiny pins are re-soldered properly; a job really NOT for the fain hearted.

SO, when you @Sparkles1 or any one else from HP "answer" questions like these, try to NOT offend our intelligence by providing useless and time-wasting pre-fabricated responses; we realy do not need that!

And READ carefully the questions before hitting the "REPLY" button.

The only result you achieve with this kind of behaviour, is to grow the number of disgruntled customers, which will never buy again HP products.

I' m one of 'em.

Have a nice day, 

Stefano Mollo - Perth, Western Australia.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.