Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Mini 2102
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I would like to upgrade the wireless card (Broadcom 802.11 g) to an N card, dual band if possible. My question is; what is the right card and part number?

I believe the HP Mini 5103 card will work in the 2102, but I am not certain of this capability. Does anyone know the best wireless adapter card to swap out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You definitely have a whitelist problem and there are just 4 wireless cards that will work in that machine. See p. 47 of the Manual here:

Manual

All of these are "N" cards and I think the card you have is an "N" not a "G" already. None, however, is dual band. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you heard WiFi whitelist in BIOS ? I don't know the model/product of your HP Mini 2102 but I believe this series came out around 2010. The chance to upgrade wifi card for machines which were built before mid 2014 is from very, very, very slim to none.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You definitely have a whitelist problem and there are just 4 wireless cards that will work in that machine. See p. 47 of the Manual here:

Manual

All of these are "N" cards and I think the card you have is an "N" not a "G" already. None, however, is dual band. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Manual

Thanks for the rapid response!

The issue I seem to be having is that Device Manager shows the adapter as a "Broadcom 802/11 b/g". The HP specs page does list this hardware: Broadcom 4312G 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Adapter. So I am assuming this is the one originally installed.

Thanks for the direction per the manual; I'll search for one of those specified adapters.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Have you heard WiFi whitelist in BIOS ? I don't know the model/product of your HP Mini 2102 but I believe this series came out around 2010. The chance to upgrade wifi card for machines which were built before mid 2014 is from very, very, very slim to none.

Regards.

Thank you for the quick response. I will check the 2102 manual for acceptable replacements. 

One odd note is that the manual does not list "Broadcom 4312G 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Adapter" which is what I appear to have in my device...

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Manual

Gentlemen,

First another thanks for the help, very much appreciated. However, I am totally confused now after looking at the HP pages for manuals! So please excuse the dumb questions, and my confusions, which I'll explain later.

The HP site lists two manuals, one for "commercial models only", and another:HP 2102 Manuals

I believe the parts referenced earlier were from the "commercial models" manual. The other manual lists other part numbers....?

So, here is where it gets to be confusing:

• I have two HP Minis ( a 2102 & a 110-1025dx); I would like to upgrade both to "N" cards at some point.
  • I have recently purchased an "N" card PN: 518436-001. Per the "various manuals (and other HP forum posts) this card will work in both the 2102 & 110-1025.

Now for my dumb questions:

1. I currently have Bluetooth capability in the 2102; though I do not use it. If I use the 518436-001 N card, I presume I will lose Bluetooth capability,
  2. Re: above, to maintain Bluetooth, I will have to use one of the PNs listed in the 2102 "commercial" manual? Can I assume that the card would work in a "non-commercial' device?

Sorry for confusing what would seem to be an easy question!

HP Recommended

The 110-1025dx we understand but just telling us it is a "2102" is like telling me your car is a "Buick". Do you have an identification tag on it for the exact model number or Product Number? 

Yes the bluetooth is provided by the same physical card as the wifi (dual function card) so if you take out the card with BT and put in a wifi only card you lose BT. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The 110-1025dx we understand but just telling us it is a "2102" is like telling me your car is a "Buick". Do you have an identification tag on it for the exact model number or Product Number? 

Yes the bluetooth is provided by the same physical card as the wifi (dual function card) so if you take out the card with BT and put in a wifi only card you lose BT. 

Hi Huffer,

The model is "2102", and it is not the "Energy Star" model, nor the base model. It is not a 210-2. HP lists it as "Mini 2102".

The Product Number is: WH239UT#ABA

Thanks again

HP Recommended

The Manual I linked is definitely for the 2102. I did see where there is a Manual for commercial models and then another earlier Manual, which has some older wireless card options. The Manuals otherwise look pretty much the same, and the wifi cards listed in either Manual will work in any "2102". . 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The Manual I linked is definitely for the 2102. I did see where there is a Manual for commercial models and then another earlier Manual, which has some older wireless card options. The Manuals otherwise look pretty much the same, and the wifi cards listed in either Manual will work in any "2102". . 

Thanks again Huffer,

I assumed all the listed cards should work, but I hate to assume! I apologize for the confusion with discussing two HP Mini models.

Now just to decide if I truly want/need Bluetooth. As a note, I did notice a huge jump in internet connection speed after I turned off BT in the 2102.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.