Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook - 15-5010nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This morning my HP Omen arrived in the mail, fully functional with everything in tact. After I left my laptop to install the updates from the HP Support Assistant (One of those updates being a BIOS update), I came back to find my computer restarted and my backlit keyboard not working. After trying to use the HP OMEN Control to fix the keyboard, I found that the keyboard will flash briefly when I click "Apply To All Zones", but then immediately turns off again. Is there any way to fix this Backlit Keyboard issue ir can we see an update in the near future that fixes this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Found a solution! Apparently, the keyboard shuts down after the BIOS update, so in order to turn it back on just push F5.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

THE EXACT SAME HAPPENED TO ME !!! i just got this amazing computer 3 days ago, i did a BIOS update recommended by HP assistant and now my backlit keyboard does not work, will only flash once when i click apply to all zones. HELP, i just paid almost $2000 for this laptop and this is a huge dissapointment, Perazoune if you find any solution please let me know. HELP HP !

HP Recommended

Hi perazoune and aBe_Omen,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Can you please download and install the latest BIOS (F.09) from hp.com to see if it resolves this issue?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-143101-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Thanks,

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended
Found a solution! Apparently, the keyboard shuts down after the BIOS update, so in order to turn it back on just push F5.
HP Recommended
Hi. I have this problem this morning after the following windows updates. KB3035034 and KB2267602 updates for flash security and windows defender. I have tried f5 and i didnt perform a bios update. Please help.
HP Recommended
Yes that worked for me. The BIOS update turns the keyboard off for some reason, just push F5 key that controls turning the back light on and off.
HP Recommended
Exactly ! So happy it was an easy fix, I kinda felt dumb, but oh well, its fixed.
HP Recommended

I am having problems with the backlighting for my keyboard as well. This link above used to reset it for me but everfy single time the computerupdates itself the keybosrd quits working. I just tried to use the link above and it no longer works for me. Is there another way to get my keyboard lighting to work properly? 

HP Recommended

If clicking the f5 key is not working you probably have to set the function keys to their alternative modes. You can do this by going to your HP Omen Central Operations -> HP Omen Controls -> Advanced Tab. In the tab locate "Function key defaults" and click the bubble next to "Alternative functions". Now save these preferences, exit the window, and click the f5 button! Your welcome and I hope you're all enjoying your OMENs!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.