Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook PC 15 J9K19UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About a week ago I got an update to Windows 10 and some of the HP utilities, so I updated everything and now the fans act really strange. They go to their max speed and then slow way down and then go all the way back up again, this repeats several times for however long I use the laptop. I've checked for running processes and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I've tried messing with the fan speed through the Omen control, but that doesn't seem to be able to lower the fan speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So it turns out it was the HP System Event Utility, I uninstalled it and installed a legacy version and it fixed it. I'm not sure what the update was but it made it so I could no longer control the fans through the Omen control at all. Oh well, my computer still runs fine, and I'm happy.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Did you install the HP System Event update too? (I know you made mention of some HP utilities, but that one is a crucial one.)

Were the fans well working before the update? (If so, then we should be able to track down the software culprit. 🙂

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

I did indeed update the System Event Utility, I've tried to manually install all the latest drivers and bios to make sure everything worked correctly. The fans were working well before the update, and the fans seem to correct themselves after a few hours.

HP Recommended

That is odd if they are going up to full.

My unit will ramp up the fans randomly, but I've always chalked it up to 'something that I am running' or the location of the laptop at the time and they've never gone to full. (Chrome has a love affair with the fans, that's for sure.)

I'll have to see if I can track down what apps would cause this. (Apart from games, of course. 🙂 )

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Yeah I thought it might be chrome as well so I disabled it on startup and still have the same fan issues. I also disabled steam just to be sure.

I did notice that my HP performance advisor has an error when I try starting that saying :*Root element is missing*. Is this application normally in the startup routine? If so it may be getting hung up trying to start it.

HP Recommended

I can't see that affecting the fan, but I also didn't write the program. 😛
Have you tryed wiping that program out and reinstalling it? (I will assume you have.)

I can ask about as to how to check exactly what root eliment it isn't seeing, but it may take a bit as many of the R&D folks are off for the holidays.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

I tried uninstalling the performance advisor and re-installing, but it still comes up with the same error. It does output an error log so if HP needs more info on that I'm happy to post it. I also tried installing the latest updates that came out last night on the website and still have the same strange fan speeds on start-up

HP Recommended

First update the HP Event Utility and OMEN Control software, then press the 'fn'+'F' keys to toggle the fan speed or set the fan speed to 'Normal' in the advanced tab of the OMEN Control software.

HP Recommended

So it turns out it was the HP System Event Utility, I uninstalled it and installed a legacy version and it fixed it. I'm not sure what the update was but it made it so I could no longer control the fans through the Omen control at all. Oh well, my computer still runs fine, and I'm happy.

HP Recommended

While im glad that the fans are running at the proper speed, It conserns me that the latest System Even Utility acted this way.

Will the fans still ramp up as needed?

Have you tried reinstalling the latest SEU to see if maybe it was a glitch installation?

I am an HP Employee
-----
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.