Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP DV6 is having...issues.  windows 7.  A bit of history:

Recently (2 months ago) it quit installing Windows updates, and would download 3 everytime I shut down.  HP support could not help, nor did the Fix-It programs work.  Had to restore to factory defaults and that solved THAT problem.

Recently tried reading camera card (which I have done before), but it did not read/was not recognized.  Today, tried to run a DVD, and when it didn't automatically start, I found out it isn't recognized.

Tried HP Support Assistant, which told me the model # of the DVD drive I was using, then proceeded to say there was something wrong with the driver...and it couldn't fix it.

More?  Explorer (windows, not Internet) will frequently time out or crash...

I have Norton Internet Security with live update, and have yet to have any virus issues. 

Any assistance or questions greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
  3. In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
  4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
  5. In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
  6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
  7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please find the weblink given below might help you to fix the issue.

Troubleshooting CD or DVD Drive Detection Problems

DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hi, and thank you for the quick reply.  I have tried the various options offered in the links, but nothing works.  Here are some screeen shots of my attempts.  I have also checked the bios on startup, and the option to boot from CD/DVD is there...???

StorageDeviceMgr.JPGStorageDevices.JPGStorageDevicesCheck.JPGStorageDevicesAlreadyInstalled.JPGStorageDevicesCheckstopworking.JPG

HP Recommended

Okay...got the DVD working again...had to go into the registry and remove the 'upper', or 'higher' key.  All is well there. 

So...while I'm here, can you direct me to the proper fix for 'Unable to start Bluetooth Stack Service'? 🙂

thanks again!

HP Recommended

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
  3. In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
  4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
  5. In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
  6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
  7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
HP Recommended

Hi

Ok great the Upper filter & Lower filter has done the trick for you i am happy that your issue has been fixed.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I went into the system registry but I could not find any upper or lower filters maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

HP Recommended

Make sure you are in this exact registry key:

HP Recommended

no upper or lower filters found in registery , what next

HP Recommended

Manjunath,

Just happened to be passing through with the same problem and followed your fix. It worked perfectly.

Thanks!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.