Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello frostwise. I understand your computer is having difficulties booting up. In order to thoroughly assist you, I require the exact computer model and operating system. If you require assistance locating the model number, you can refer to this document: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

In the meantime, did you follow all the troubleshooting and suggestions from the document that I posted above? Here is the link again: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

Please attempt the troubleshooting. If your issue persists, please respond with the information I require and I will continue to assist you. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

My machine woke up with a head ache this morning.  It blinks once every 2 seconds and I quit counting after 40 blinks.  It is a DV7-1426nr.  It got a new 12 cell bat 3 weeks ago and a new keyboard just now when I took it apart to see if there was any thing obviously wrong.  Removed the HD and tested the same pattern.  I has been running fine.  Fan turns on and runs fine. Hard drive seems to be spinning ok... it is 4 years old.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello idahostevens. I understand you are seeing a light blink repeatedly when you are starting the computer. Please refer to this HP document on LED blinking lights to troubleshoot the issue: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01443366

Please inform me of your results when you complete the troubleshooting. If these steps do not resolve the issue, please respond with detail the results of each troubleshooting step appropriate in the above document.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi

Why do you ask about the operating system, if the laptop does not boot into the BIOS? Pavillion dv7-1245dx and this model is written in the subject. Motherboard model: JBKOO LA-4091P Rev: 1A. (SPB: 506124-001 ) I asked  to help, not formal replies to housewives. Problems with this series of laptops is not unique. And you should know this better than anyone either. I was able to run the laptop one time, it was hook up to the power supply bout 5-6 hours
(something inside warmed and started to work,perhaps sealed). Then the screen  turned on and displayed  post to  press f2 for bios default values. I flashed the bios to the latest version. After that I could turn it a couple of days,  installed windows 7, with all drivers. And after rebooting (installed last  driver), again  does not run. Now the problem repeated, the lights are blinking, it does not boot, no POST.
HP Recommended

When I press the power button, I hear the fan running, sounds from the dvd area, a blinking white light on the Caps lock key. The screen remains black.

HP Recommended

The CAPS LOCK and the Num Lock light blink once every 2 seconds and goes on without stopping the blinking.  It does not follow any pattern in the diagnostics section.  I have searched the web for other explainations and have found none. The battery, charger and keyboard are all new.  The new keyboard was not installed when this started after being shut down for the night.

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion DV7-1245DX No boot/POST, Caps Lock and Num Lock lights blink once repeatedly

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion DV7-1060ew boot/POST:

0 ~ 30 sec is black screen and nothing happens when laptop is could. All indicator LED is lighting + CAPS Lock & NUM Lock is blinking all the time. When laptop are warmer then starting normaly - this black screen shows about 30 seconds. What is wrong with motherboard? North Chipset? Graphics Chipset?

HP Recommended

All right, after looking over these 6 pages and Googling this issue endlessly, I've got to chime in here on a topic nobody seems to be addressing here.

This is a design flaw and HP needs to issue a recall.

Look at the replies in this thread. How many people have come here saying their laptop does EXACTLY the same thing the OP mentioned? This should never happen to a laptop that's designed with appropriate thermal management and manufacturing practices. The solder joints on the northbridge fail like *EVERY* other AMD-based laptop I see come through our shop with a no-video problem. Intel laptops never exhibit this same behavior - they sometimes need a RAM reseating or embedded controller "hard reset" (remove battery, hold power 20-30 seconds). But they never come back after that. Only the AMDs end up being a case of "sorry, you should look at buying a new computer and chalk this up as a bad purchase". Typically HPs, too.

The laptop we have in the shop right now is an HP Pavilion dv7-4051nr, product number WQ870UA#ABA. It came in to the shop for no display on startup ("monitor doesn't work" as described on ticket... but technically a "no-POST", but you can see how even basic check-in techs don't know how to identify a no-POST from a faulty LCD). I originally managed to get the PC running again by resetting the EC - pulling both batteries and holding the power button seemed to do the trick. It was also updated with the latest BIOS after that.

But it came back with a further-degraded case of the same problem not even a week later. Now, it won't come up at all - reset doesn't fix it, reseating RAM, replacing RAM, holding/hitting F8, any of the tricks mentioned so far. If I called HP or had the customer call HP, I guarantee they'd state the motherboard is defective.

As is everyone else's laptop motherboard in this thread.

I've seen it enough times to know exactly what happens - poorly-laid solder joints either inside the FC-BGA northbridge chip package, or between the chip package and the motherboard. Heat from the chip isn't dissipated properly, or is allowed to build up too high before the fan kicks up its speed, and that heating/cooling causes the contacts to break. The contacts may squeeze back together for brief periods, making it seem to be "fixed" for short moments, but there's no reliable fix to get those contacts back together (at least, without very delicate work with a hot-air reflow setup, and a whole new AMD northbridge chip).

The issue first occurred in HP dv2000/6000/9000 laptops, circa 2005-2007. My big question is... why hasn't HP learned from these failures - which they were forced to issue a high-profile recall program for - and designed better cooling in these AMD laptops? (the affected dv2/6/9000 PCs were AMD-based only, and nVidia provided the northbridge with integrated GPU just like the AMD chipsets of today) Or why hasn't AMD learned to make FC-BGA packages that don't break so easily? Intel seems to have figured that out before the problem even occurred - I *VERY* rarely see any Intel-based laptops with motherboard failures. So few, I struggle to even think of a single one (that's chipset-related, not abuse/damage-related). AMDs come in multiple times a month with this same issue, and we have to give them the horrible news that it'd be a $300+ repair operation on a $300 computer.

So, the big question for right now is, what is HP going to do about this - if anything?

HP Recommended

My parents laptop blinks 4 time.  manual says : Graphics controller not functional:

it appears after much research, the mother board must be replaced:  sn cnd9073myt.

where do I buy a replacement? ive searched multiple sites but I am concerned i will pick the wrong one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.