Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G4 1125DX

Hello,

Im back at it with another value village find. I picked up a Pavilion G4 14” (model 1125DX) for $15. It is in really good condition, and was previously untested by them and was missing the battery and charger. In my stash of goodies at home, I knew I had both. Once I got it powered on I saw that the previous owner had W10 installed on it, but was password locked. So I just reinstalled W10, and after all the updates were done I “unofficially” installed W11, and that seems to be running rather well on this old hardware too.

It had 4gb of ram, I added another 4gb for a total of 8, and it still has the factory installed 500gb HDD. It has the AMD Phenom ii P650 2.6 ghz dual core cpu. It trots along rather well, and in the manual i downloaded I see a few quad core cpus but altogether between the dual and quad core, I cannot tell which would be a contender for a good upgrade.  I know there is a long list of AMD cpus, between the Phenom ii and a few A8 cpus as well. Was just curious if anyone had any insight, or knows this particular notebook well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The AMD versions of this model series can accept any of the listed AMD processors. This one is the best:

AMD Phenom II N970 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB
L2 cache, 1333-MHz, 3.6GT/sec, quad core, 35 W)

You can likely find one fairly cheap, I just think the marginal benefit will be minimal and not really worth the effort. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The AMD versions of this model series can accept any of the listed AMD processors. This one is the best:

AMD Phenom II N970 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB
L2 cache, 1333-MHz, 3.6GT/sec, quad core, 35 W)

You can likely find one fairly cheap, I just think the marginal benefit will be minimal and not really worth the effort. 
HP Recommended

I looked it up, you are correct, the benefits would be minimal.  Thank you for the information though! I might go ahead and get one of those anyways just to see in real world application. I think it’s a pretty solid notebook for the $15 I paid for it, another $20 or so for a processor won’t be too bad

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.