Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavilion G6 1b50us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a hp pavilion g6 1b50us laptop and the CPU is starting to fail 

here are the specs.

CPU    AMD Phenom II P650 Dual Core 2.6 GHz

AMD motherboard with UMA graphics

(ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series) 

I am looking into upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and graphics card.

I would prefer to stay with AMD, (i use the laptop for rendering) however, to get the discrete graphics i can make the switch to intel if there is no other way.  Also, I have no preference for cpu. Hopefully one at least with 2.6 GHz

If anyone can help me find the right motherboard for my upgrade that would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The thing is the motherboard is designed to fit in the laptop so the motherboard cannot be separated or distinguished from your model of laptop or perhaps model series. It is not like a desktop where motherboards are a standard shape and configuration and can be easily upgraded to current hardware even years later. Nothing like that is possible with a laptop.

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Any motherboard listed in the manual could be installed in your laptop and made to work with the right processor and heatsink. You could swap over memory and wireless card, etc. 

So you could migrate from AMD to Intel, again theoretically. The top of the mark would be an i7-2620M processor at 2.7 ghz and then a discrete motherboard with AMD 6470M video. There are also motherboards using first gen Intel Core with slightly better video. There are also AMD boards with discrete video which can take Quad Core or up to a 3 ghz processor. Your board could accept a Phenom II N660 at 3 ghz. That would not alter your video chip, however. 

Then we get into the cost of all this. Post back if you want to get down in the weeds about specifics. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The thing is the motherboard is designed to fit in the laptop so the motherboard cannot be separated or distinguished from your model of laptop or perhaps model series. It is not like a desktop where motherboards are a standard shape and configuration and can be easily upgraded to current hardware even years later. Nothing like that is possible with a laptop.

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Any motherboard listed in the manual could be installed in your laptop and made to work with the right processor and heatsink. You could swap over memory and wireless card, etc. 

So you could migrate from AMD to Intel, again theoretically. The top of the mark would be an i7-2620M processor at 2.7 ghz and then a discrete motherboard with AMD 6470M video. There are also motherboards using first gen Intel Core with slightly better video. There are also AMD boards with discrete video which can take Quad Core or up to a 3 ghz processor. Your board could accept a Phenom II N660 at 3 ghz. That would not alter your video chip, however. 

Then we get into the cost of all this. Post back if you want to get down in the weeds about specifics. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! Huffer,

In your honest opinion, is there a configuration in there, intel or AMD, that will allow me to have discrete graphics but cost less than buying a new laptop that comes standard with discrete graphics.  Keep in mind I will be purchasing a new CPU as well for either build.

HP Recommended

I gotta eat a little crow. I looked at the Manual closely again and all the models with discrete graphics are Intel. I think you are going to get at least $250-300 into an i7 processor and discrete board and heatsink. Still less than a new laptop with discrete video but not an insignificant investment. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!

I will let you know in the future what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.