Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion dv6 is just 2 years old and it is already dead. whenever I try to start it It goes in Loop of On-Off-On-Off until I remove the battery or AC source. I saw many people from worldwide complaining about same stuff but no official Solution is been provided by HP. 

Moreover even my other HP laptop displayed that fan was not operating correctly, So I visited a professional and he replaced it. Again after some days the same problem of fan started. I am sure that earlier fan was been replaced as I was personally present over there.

What exactly is wrong with this Pavilion dv6 series?

I hope atleast on Expert day I might receive te solution! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

On the laptop with the on-off loop, it sounds like the BIOS could be corrupted, were you doing an update at all?

You may need to reset the BIOS 

Try this first

DDisconnect he battery and the ac power, leave the unit off for around 5 minutes

Press and hold down the power button for around 30 seconds.

Release the power button

Plug in AC power, do not fit the battery.

Hold down Insert/Scroll and the press and hold the power button for 30 seconds again

Ensure you keep pressing down the Insert/Scroll but now release the power button. Windows should boot.

Restart the unit and press ESC. Now go in and reset the BIOS

If that fails then try this

Turn off the laptop.

Ensure you are connected to mains power

Ensure the laptop is off then press down and hold the Windows Key and B simultaneously.

Keep pressing down those keys and then also press the power button for 30 seconds. Now release all of the buttons

The screen will be blank for about 45 seconds and you may hear a couple of beeps. You then have to wait until the emergency BIOS screen appears.

If the screen doesn't appear then you may not have this function. Let us know if this works.

Changy.

HP Recommended

I know this is a really old post and this isn't really an official solution buuut...

If you take your thumb and jam into the "b" key on the keyboard, I mean really jam it down on that key, your computer should boot. I've had this issue with 2 different model hp's, one being the dv6000, the other was a probook 4000 series, and it worked on both. I don't remeber what key it was on the probook, i think it was "y", and i haven't opened either of the computers yet so im not sure if there's something under the keyboard that's loose so i can't say why it works either, but it does work, at least in my experience.

HP Recommended

@demig  I had an HP-dv6000 that went dark one day and then continued to loop on boot. On off, on off. Tried everything (tricks) except overheating the laptop in an attempt to seat the Invidia GPU/chip. I was hoping to avoid that dubious solution. I found this post by demig and thought it was possibly the craziest solution yet. The hard drive was removed, so there was no operating system. Battery in, AC supplied. With the laptop powered off, I pressed quite hard on the 'B' key and powered on. That's when I had my mind blown. It actually worked. The display lit up, displaying the HP splash screen with options to enter bios or setup (F10 or esc).  Since I had no HDD it stated, as expected, 'no operating system'. I was able to get into the bios and reset clock etc.

I want to be very clear. I pressed (hard) only the 'B' key. No other key combinations. Then lightly pressed the power button while maintaining firm pressure on the 'B' key. Thats all. I released the key as soon as the diplay fired up. Woohoo!

I have no idea how this works, but I suspect it solves a loose connection or mechanically tweaks the main board. I am only guessing, but it freaking worked! I gave up on this laptop three years ago and stumbled on this post. Thanks will never suffice, but demig, you rocked my world. I'm an engineer and fairly advanced in computer skills. I'm still in shock and scratching my head. How did this work?

I will not open the laptop again, (I had done so twice to try fix this issue and did not find any loose connectors) and will simply accept this wonderful gift of knowledge. My next step is to install a HDD and operating system to confirm the repair. Will report back, for sure.

Wow, just...wow.

HP Recommended
I NEVER thought I would ever find a solution for this bit here in 2017 here it is! I followed the 'B' button procedure and my display fired right up! After three long years and a random Google search I have my laptop back working like normal. I am utterly amazed that it actually worked.

Mind blown...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.