Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion dv7-1014ca Entertainment Notebook is running incredibly hot. The fan is on pretty much all the time. The BIOS is fully updated and I've vaccumed the vents and the fan. I keep my laptop on hard, flat surfaces, and yet at times it's almost too hot to touch. the entire bottom section of the notebook will be remarkably hot. Any idea what the problem could be? I've also had moments when my notebook shuts down without any warning for seemingly no reason. Could it be overheating?

82 REPLIES 82
HP Recommended

that's because are not good....I have the same problem with my 2 (TWO) HP pavilions....nobody could explain why, not in England, not in Italy....when became too hot they shutdown....I swore t not buy HP anymore.... 

HP Recommended

Search my post on this forum how to perfectly reduce laptop heat. Everytime works.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

What are your temps when it gets really warm? Possibly a laptop cooler would help you. I have a DV7 3067CL that I bought in September of 09, it never gets all that hot.

HP Recommended

you never posted a link to the forum thread

HP Recommended

Yes I have the same problem and it's gradually got worse over the pass couple of months! My laptop is less than 2 years old and I am now wondering how long it is going to last until it over heats!!! My next purchase will be an Apple unless HP admits to this problem and produces a solution.

HP Recommended

Plz post temps! What is "hot" to some might be normal to others.

Ex. My DV7 runs cooler than my i7 MBP did.

HP Recommended

I've had this crappy laptop for about two years.  This has given me NOTHING but PROBLEMS and I spent a pretty penny on it.  I requested that HP upgrade me to the newest Windows and once they sent me the pack to upgrade, a lot of my software didn't conform to the new Windows.  I spent countless hours over the phone trying to figure it out with their tech group and each one was more useless than the next.

Now, this thing is louder than a tank and hotter than a stove.  The bottom runs extremely hot almost right away as soon as I log on.  I barely have anything on this laptop (re programs) so I don't understand why this is happening but seeing by the posts, it's just a crappy product.

Not quite sure how HP is still in business with this and not being able to keep customers happy by seeing how many threads/posts there are.

I will never  buy HP again.

Lou

HP Recommended

I am also having issues with overheating. I have even used a cooling pad underneath. Nothing is obstructing the fans or anything. I am starting to think this is a build issue.  Poor quality heatsink or fan on the cpu. 

I have went back to my Toshiba which doesnt get as nearly hot and runs all day. I am so dissapointed because the HP was a really good entertainment laptop. Now I only turn it on to update it which is another issue.

I hope HP finally realizes they did not do well on this one. My mother has another model that has been recalled as well. I am hoping the same will happen here. 

The only thing I can recommend for those with extreme heat. May sure you have air flow under and around the laptop. Check to make sure your vents do not have dust. Get a cooling fan for the bottom. Cool Master has a 3 fan one you can target to the hot spots.  Good luck.  I am currently happy with my Toshiba. Thank goodness the HP was a gift.

HP Recommended

HP dv7 Overheat Solution  Drastic? Maybe. Does it work and lower processor temp by 30deg.C? Absolutely, runs better than new, nice and quiet and cool. :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.