Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've been using a HP Spectre X360. Really like the laptop, runs good etc.
BUT
I bought the copper and ash grey version, looked awesome on the photos.

Only after 3 weeks of usage, strictly "on couch" without dragging it around anywhere, it got scratched. The dark gray paint is extremely scratchable, it happened because of a shirt button, which is crazy. I would expect this from a cheap, plastic chromebook, that the paint just comes of from basically a fingernail scratch, but a high end ultrabook? Very disappointed.

To everyone who is planning on buying it - if you must, get the silver version, scratches wont be so visiable.The gray and copper version is veeeery easy to scratch.

Now question for HP - is there any service you offer that can fix this? Some "repainting" service or a way to exchange the scratched display back? Or am I forced to accept that my brand new notebook will be scratched from now on?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @Selvanis, Welcome to HP forums.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards

Chetan

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As anticipated, the only thing I could hear was "Sorry, it was user made mechanical damage, warranty doesn't cover that".
So, basically, "live with it, there will be more".

Apparently the ash gray and copper HP Spectre x360 is meant to be used only on a desk (word "desktop" comes to mind), because every little thing like a shirt button can scratch it.

So buyer beware, if you want to buy this laptop (which is a good overall laptop) buy the silver one. Every little scratch won't be as visible as on the dark one. And it's a shame, it looked really good (and not like an Apple Macbook wannabe).

HP Recommended

Hi @Selvani,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for sending me the same template response in this topic twice.

AND

then sending me the same template PM with a questionare "In order to assist you further..."

Now I'll probably be pawned off to a HP service in my country, where I'll recieve the same template answer "You did the scratch, you deal with it". 

HP Recommended

Yeah, the official HP responders are almost always useless and reply with the same boilerplate message.

I kind of knew going in that these were going to be scratch prone. I've got a refurb unit and the first one I got had a light scratch on the top and a couple of obvious ones on the bottom. That told me HP had no way to fix these scratches because if it were possible, they would have done so before trying to resell the unit.  I swapped that one out for a different reason (I was going through a retail dealer, MicroCenter, and they had a few in stock they could swap for mine) and it was perfect (except for the phantom cursor problem, which is a subject best addressed in another post, preferrable one with the profanity filter switched off).

I've been lucky so far - I got mine not long after you bought yours and have only just picked up a couple of very small scratches - one on the back next to the painted HP logo and one on the top, just above the black indentation on the back of the screen.

It's possible that we could match the color to something from the automotive world and if so, find a touchup pen for it. Barring that, I'm thinking of either a clear vinyl decal or even trying a good clear coat to hopefully avoid any future scratching on what is still the best looking laptop ever sold by a major manufacturer. Either of these are something HP should have done prior to selling the Ash Silver versions of ANY of their computers. Of course, someone at HP probably (rightly) figured that those of us willing to pay extra for a cool paintjob would be likely to purchase a new computer if their current one gets suitably scuffed up.

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Got an ash silver Spectre x360 yesterday (in France), and I've already noticed a scratch on the bottom cover. I'm not sure though if I did it myself or if it was there from the beginning.

20170827_004755[54].jpg

HP Recommended

Greetings @TheSouth

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Did you ever find something to fill it in? Like some nail polish? Maybe some automotive paint? Anything of that sorts
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.