Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop 14-ax0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know that there's practically 0 room on this laptop for anything more than the apps it comes with. I bought this in a panic when my old laptop finally died and though it works for now, I will be buying a new one shortly. 

However, the lack of room isn't so much of an issue at the moment as I've deleted almost everything except what I use (Microsoft Word and Google Chrome and McAfee Security, basically). But I do want to know why my laptop keeps updating on a more than weekly basis.

It says that its up-to-date. I just updated it several weeks ago. But when I turn it off for the night and then turn it on the next day, that stupid screen shows up and says that "Windows is Updating, Do Not Turn Off."

Its updated. It says its updated. So why is this coming on the moment I just turned it on? Honestly, my laptop even seems slower since this has been happening. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ladyella190

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You're being affected by two different updating systems.

The first is Windows Update, and since Microsoft sends out patches every week, this has become known as the "Patch Tuesday" problem.  So every Tuesday, you are likely to see Windows Updates.

In addition, HP supplies drivers and software for their PCs, and does update those from time to time.  So, every once in a while, HP Support Assistant will download and apply HP updates.

Also, some applications get updated regularly as well.  So, if you have Microsoft Office on your PC, MS will push out updates for it.

Additionally, MS has announced that it plans two major Win10 Updates every year --March and October.  And, in advance of those, MS pushed updates to your PC to prepare for those major updates.

So basically, getting updates every week is not unexpected.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ladyella190

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You're being affected by two different updating systems.

The first is Windows Update, and since Microsoft sends out patches every week, this has become known as the "Patch Tuesday" problem.  So every Tuesday, you are likely to see Windows Updates.

In addition, HP supplies drivers and software for their PCs, and does update those from time to time.  So, every once in a while, HP Support Assistant will download and apply HP updates.

Also, some applications get updated regularly as well.  So, if you have Microsoft Office on your PC, MS will push out updates for it.

Additionally, MS has announced that it plans two major Win10 Updates every year --March and October.  And, in advance of those, MS pushed updates to your PC to prepare for those major updates.

So basically, getting updates every week is not unexpected.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Well, that's silly. Makes sense but is still silly and a bit frustrating since I have to wait for it to download and then update and that takes time.

Oh well. Thanks for clarifying!
HP Recommended

sadly the Stream is a really bad, really slow PC; the worst I've ever used.  I tell my daughter to fire it up then go away and leave it for 30 minutes otherwise the this is unusable; jerky mouse, windows taking forever to pop up after clicking.  I hate this PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.