Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP 2000-453CA Notebook PC

Product ID: A7T89UA#ABC

Windows 8 64-Bit

Failure ID: GLWG6K-00075P-MFKT01-60V403

My computer is 2 years old. Recently, it started acting up, its been getting really slow and the computer temperature went up really easily.

One day when I turned on my computer, the screen went blank after the windows logo screen when you turn on the computer, and it stayed blank forever. The screen was still backlit and occasionaly I would see the mouse cursor.

Once the recovery screen showed up when I turned it on, I tried every option that there was (except reset and refresh because it said it needed extra files and to insert a recovery disc) and it still doesn't work.

Eventually I tried pressing ESC for the startup menu and used system diagnostics. I chose startup test and when it finished it said Hard Disk Short DST: Failed and Start-Up Test: Failed. Everything else passed.

Please help... what can I do to fix this?

Thanks in Advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi GRN123,

The 24 character error code for the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue that you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

I hope that you have made a backup of your personal data and that you made the Recovery Discs.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

Thanks

Visruth

**CLICK 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION' TO HELP OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM**

**GIVE KUDOS IF THIS HELPED YOU**

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi GRN123,

The 24 character error code for the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue that you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

I hope that you have made a backup of your personal data and that you made the Recovery Discs.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

Thanks

Visruth

**CLICK 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION' TO HELP OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM**

**GIVE KUDOS IF THIS HELPED YOU**

HP Recommended

Thanks Visruth,

I am out of warrenty, what other options do I have?

HP Recommended
Hi GRN123

Here is the product manual support webpage:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&lc=en&product=5242914

Here is your manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03138231.pdf
In page 3 & 4 product description, you can see that your system supports 250GB, 320GB & 500GB 2.5" SATA 5400RPM HDD
Also go through page 46, 47, 48 Removal replacement procedures Chapter 4, if you are interested in replacing it yourself. Please follow all the prerequisites and safety guidelines given in the manual.

You can search online for the internal HDDs that meet your product specific configurations. Do you want me provide you with some suggestions?

I advice you consult for local technical assistance for replacement if you're doing this first time.

thanks

Visruth
HP Recommended
@grn123
Can you boot to Windows now? Have you made your Recovery disks to reinstall OS back after the replacement?

Here are some HDDs that may work for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149375

thanks
visruth
HP Recommended

Can you please list some suggestions of what hard drive I could use. I want to be sure I buy the right one. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended
@grn123

hope you saw my suggestions given above.
here is another one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009KN0CY2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/183-7209997-2121516

look for warranty while selecting.

thanks
visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.

I still cannot boot into windows. I still can boot into the recovery portion of the computer by pressing F11 during boot up. I think I may have the recovery discs but I'm not sure. I upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7, the instillation disc will work too, right?

HP Recommended
hi grn123

Check for the recovery disks otherwise you may order new or do a clean OS install without all the HP bloatwares, whichever you like.
From Windows 8 onwards, the product key is embedded on to the BIOS , so no need to buy one. But for Windows 7 i think you'll need the product key to install. i think you'll be having the ones you used easier right?
do the install by that and see then.

thanks

visruth
HP Recommended

I found the recovery disc, so I'll use that. I'll let you know if I need anything else or if something goes wrong.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.