Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dm3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

Currently i am experiencing problems with my PC. When i start up atleast 95% of the disk is being used.

I run a disk check test on startup whch fails providing me with the error code 9C0FL4-50886J-XD7Q21-618303.

Also when i got prompted, through the support site, to run a Primary Hard Disk Self Test ont he BIOS this also failed providing me with an error code #303.

I am reallyt stuck.

Apart from the complete use of the disk all of the time, which leads to the computer running slow, i would like to resolve this problem.

This is an old computer but would love to fix this problem, short term, so that i dont have to buy a new one just yet.

Please help !

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, 

This seems great apart from the fact that it doesnt ship to the United Kingdom which is where i am based.

Is there any alternatives to replacing the hard drive completley? Such as something i could do using the computer its self. I have been prompted that the problems may have occured when i upgraded from windows 7 to 10 ?

If there isnt any alternative could you link me to a replacement that i could buy from england. 

Seperate to these things, if i go down the route of replacing it how would i transfer everything i have on this hard drive to the new one without resulting with the same issue. 

What is the actual issue i have here ?

cheers, 

max 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Can we have the full model number so I can get you the right Manual? The hard drive is bad and you cannot keep using it with that hard drive. But in order to tell you how to replace it and with what I need the model so I can find out the specs. I believe it uses the Athlon Neo which was AMD's answer to the Intel Atom so it is essentially a Netbook. 

HP Recommended

Hi, 

The model is 

HP Pavilion dm3-1101ea Entertainment Notebook PC

model number is 

VX867EA

You are right this is a notebook pc.

max 

HP Recommended

Hard drive replacement is on page 4-9 of this Manual:

Service Manual

The specs say it came with a 320 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. 

You can get one for $23 here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Black-320GB-SATA-Internal-7200RPM-2-5-WD3200BEKT-Hard-Drive-...

Post back if you need help with software reinstallation. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi, 

This seems great apart from the fact that it doesnt ship to the United Kingdom which is where i am based.

Is there any alternatives to replacing the hard drive completley? Such as something i could do using the computer its self. I have been prompted that the problems may have occured when i upgraded from windows 7 to 10 ?

If there isnt any alternative could you link me to a replacement that i could buy from england. 

Seperate to these things, if i go down the route of replacing it how would i transfer everything i have on this hard drive to the new one without resulting with the same issue. 

What is the actual issue i have here ?

cheers, 

max 

HP Recommended

UK seller. These are used drives but the seller has a good feedback score and I am sure you will be fine. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD-Scorpio-Black-320GB-2-5-Laptop-Hard-Drive-SATA-II-7200RPM-WD3200BEKT-/2...

There is no half-way. Once a hard drive starts throwing off errors it is not useable. There are a few dozen SMART parameters that are constantly tested. A hard drive is a very precise instrument and once the performance measures get out of spec, it never gets better; only worse. If the laptop still boots and runs even with the errors there is a chance of copying the old drive to the new but in many cases all that does is carry over corrupted data which you do not want. The smart thing to do is reinstall the OS clean and then just transfer files, settings, and reinstall programs. There are many ways to do it. Happy to go into more detail. The absence of an optical drive somewhat constrains your options. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.