Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15-k167cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I ran disagnostics on my hard drive as my computer started running slow and it failed a Hard Drive Short DST Check.
The Failure ID if it helps is GK0HVK-7AD8AJ-MFPV7F-60XN03. I really want to get to the bottom of this issue as my computer is a necessity of life for me as a student.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> But my pc is a windows 8 pc, so will it be an issue going back to windows 10? I really can't afford paying for it. 

Since Windows 10 was installed, Microsoft has taken a "fingerprint" of your hardware, and has given you a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, for free, without entering any 25-character product-key.

It's your choice whether to reinstall Windows 8, with all its HP-specific software, and then upgrade to Windows 10, which should keep some of that additional software, or to start "fresh" with the "generic" version of Windows 10.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The hard drive will need replacement. Are you under warranty? This is the Service Manual if not:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04434142

See page 66 of the Manual. Replacement requires removing quite a few screws, but is otherwise pretty straightforward. 

Your model has a 1TB 5400 rpm SATA drive

This is a chance to install something a bit faster: a 7200 rpm mechanical, hybrid or solid state drive in increasing order of speed and cost. 

This would be an exact replacement for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Mobile-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00C9TEBJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480851150&s...

But, as I said there are better options. If you need help with data and software migration/reinstallation let us know. Windows 10 is easy to reinstall since you can just download it from Microsoft. Do you have a backup of your data? 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
If there is something you would recommend that isn't too expensive but worth its value, what would it be?
HP Recommended

The one I linked would work fine. 

HP Recommended

Your disk-drive is "failing" -- slow access to some files is a strong indication.

Before it completely "dies", you need to act.

Note that "disk-cloning" software exists, to copy, byte-for-byte, from your current disk-drive to a replacement disk-drive.

Compare it to changing a tire on an automobile -- the replacement works just like the original.

The "long" path would be:

* backup your files/music/pictures/bookmarks to an external disk-drive;

* make an inventory of all the other applications that you installed (anti-virus, Microsoft Office, et cetera);

* find any "license-keys" for commercial software that requires such keys;

* remove the disk-drive;

* insert the replacement disk-drive;

* reinstall Windows;

* run Windows Update, a few times;

* reload your files from a backup;

* reinstall your applications;

That "disk-cloning" software is free to use, and you can tell it to "skip" any "bad" sectors, and copy what it can.

HP Recommended
I really have no programs that need to be backed up. But my pc is a windows 8 pc, so will it be an issue going back to windows 10? I really can't afford paying for it.
HP Recommended

> But my pc is a windows 8 pc, so will it be an issue going back to windows 10? I really can't afford paying for it. 

Since Windows 10 was installed, Microsoft has taken a "fingerprint" of your hardware, and has given you a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, for free, without entering any 25-character product-key.

It's your choice whether to reinstall Windows 8, with all its HP-specific software, and then upgrade to Windows 10, which should keep some of that additional software, or to start "fresh" with the "generic" version of Windows 10.

HP Recommended
Fantastic you've beem a great help. Thanks a heap.
HP Recommended

If it ever had Windows 10 on it and activated the installation media can be downloaded for free from Microsoft, and reinstalled. It will automatically activate, even with a new hard drive in the machine. We can get you the drivers you need here or they can possibly be scavenged from the old drive. Post back if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.