Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 17-e040 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

1. Bootup Error Message: Unmountable Boot Volume

2. HDD Test: Short DST Check Failed; Failure ID: PTXE3X-6ST8BA-MFPWWK-60XK03

3. Question: The notebook came with Win 8 installed (no media provided), later ugraded to Win 8.1 and then to Win 10 (via free download from Microsoft). If I assume the HDD has failed and replace it with the same model (or a compatible SSD), what do I need to do to get a Win 10 32-bit OS installed on the replacement harddrive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

On a different computer you can download the media creation tool from Microsoft and create a bootable pendrive. Download the tool and run. Choose create a usb drive and when asked choose to install on another computer. Make sure to choose the same edition that is on the computer which is not working, as microsoft will only automatically activate if you install the same edition of windows 10 which was already activated.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

On your computer with the new hard disk you can boot from this pendrive (change boot order in bios) and install windows 10.

Let me know if you need help,

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

On a different computer you can download the media creation tool from Microsoft and create a bootable pendrive. Download the tool and run. Choose create a usb drive and when asked choose to install on another computer. Make sure to choose the same edition that is on the computer which is not working, as microsoft will only automatically activate if you install the same edition of windows 10 which was already activated.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

On your computer with the new hard disk you can boot from this pendrive (change boot order in bios) and install windows 10.

Let me know if you need help,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you.  In checking the BIOS for Boot Order,  "CD-ROM Boot" is listed first and Enabled. The next Enabled entry listed is called Secure Boot. Further down there are two Boot Order lists, but with no "Enabled/Disabled" tags. (see below) What do I need to re-order?

UEFI Boot Order

OS Boot Manager

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

USB Diskette on Key / USB Hard Disk

USB CD/DVD ROM drive

! Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order

Notebook Hard Drive

USB Diskette on Key / USB Hard Disk

USB CD/DVD ROM drive

! Network Adapter

HP Recommended

Ok,

If you want to reinstall windows 10 you should temporarily disable secure boot since it can create difficulty with reinstallation. When you insert the bootable pendrive and go into boot options there will be two options, usually as if there were two different pen drives. One efi with windows 10 and the other without efi (legacy boot). It is a good idea to use efi so that you can use the more modern uefi bios. So in the list you provided you want to bring Usb diskette on key to first place, this is usually done with +and- keys or with f5 and f6 and then save and exit. If you have the bootable drive inserted which you created with win 10, you should see ghe actual disk in the boot order options and bring it into first place.

This way you can reinstall wjndows 10, if you are thinking of buying a hard disk i would advise an ssd which will greatly increase the speed and everyday performance of your system.

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I took your advice to replace the failed HDD with an SSD. I'm downloading to a thumb drive the Win 10 OS replacement S/W from MS, but wanted to have you verify changes to the boot order in the BIOS. Below is the full listing (modified items in red):

Boot Options

POST Hotkey Delay (sec)                                            <0>

CD-ROM Boot                                                                  <Disabled>                                      (originally: Enabled)

Internal Network Adapter Boot                               <Disabled>

Network Boot Protocol                                               <IPV4+IPV6  (UEFI)>

Legacy Support                                                             <Disabled>

Secure Boot                                                                    <Disabled>                                  (originally: Enabled)

Platform Key                                                                  Enrolled

Pending Action                                                              None

Clear All Secure Boot Keys

Load HP Factory default Keys

UEFI Boot Order

OS boot Manager

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk                                                                           (moved ahead of: Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive)

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

!  Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order   <-- contents unchanged from listing in prior post; but Legacy Support is disabled anyway)

HP Recommended

Attention: iomare (David)

1. Original HDD with Windows 10 OS failed both Long & Short DST tests

2. Failed HDD replaced with compatible SSD that passes both DST tests

3. With no Windows 10 Restore Media on hand, MS software was downloaded to create an installation boot drive on a clean USB Flash drive from:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4. The MS program said it completed successfully with this list of folders/files appearing on the USB Flash Drive :

Folders: boot, efi, sources, support

Files: autorun, boot mgr, boot mgr efi, MediaMeta & setup

5. iomare (David)'s reply to my original post (12/27/16 on this Forum)  and advice on the MS website indicated a few mods to the original BIOS boot order were needed. I tried the following, but nothing happens, but a blank screen background alternately switching from all-black to all-blue. What do I need to do?

Boot Options

POST Hotkey Delay (sec)                                            <0>

CD-ROM Boot                                                                  <Disabled>                    (originally: Enabled)

Internal Network Adapter Boot                               <Disabled>

Network Boot Protocol                                               <IPV4+IPV6  (UEFI)>

Legacy Support                                                             <Disabled>

Secure Boot                                                                    <Disabled>                      (originally: Enabled)

Platform Key                                                                   Enrolled

Pending Action                                                               None

Clear All Secure Boot Keys

Load HP Factory default Keys

UEFI Boot Order

OS boot Manager

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk                    (moved ahead of: Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive)

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

!  Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order   <-- contents unchanged from listing in prior post; but Legacy Support is disabled anyway)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.