Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 14
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

This is an honest question, from a frustrated IT technician. I would rather staple my ears to a horse than ever purchase a laptop with S mode Windows on it, but some people apparently do, mostly attracted by the bargain prices.

This has so far been happening to HP laptops only. Other manufacturers' 'S mode' laptops need only exit S mode once, and then are good to go.

However, with HP laptops, like the Pavillion 14 I currently have in hand, newer BIOS updates served by the HP Support Assistant will always turn S mode back on, without fail, making all installed programs on the computer unusable - and also offering no way to remotely help the afflicted customer. The usual tricks about resetting the MS Store cache et. al. don't seem to work. Only a full Windows reinstall will apparently fix this 'stuck in S mode hell' problem.

Therefore, my question is, how can a company as big and knowledgeable as HP be continuing to release BIOS updates to customers that essentially stop their computers from functioning as intended? How is this a valid business scheme in 2021?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@silencer51

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

To get the answer to this question, Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: Switching out of S mode is one-way. (By Microsoft article) 

1. On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.

2. In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)

3. On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button. After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.