Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 14t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi.  This is my first laptop.  Up until now, I have owned only desktops.  In the past I used the alt codes to create all the accented letters in Spanish and French.  This laptop does NOT have a number keypad or the embedded blue numbers (so the ctrl-fn "method 1" does not work), and the ctrl+apostrophe+letter "Method 2" only works while on Word.   What can I use to type accented letter while on browsers? I use the languages often in the same sentence, so changing the input keyboard is not efficient.  Thank you for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PaPaPy,

Hello and thanks for posting on the HP support forums.  Here is something that should help.

* á = ' + a 
* é = ' + e 
* í = ' + i 
* ó = ' + o 
* ú = ' + u 
* ñ = ~ + n 
* ü = " + u 

This link may help as well.

HP PCs - Using Keyboard Shortcuts and Special Keys

Please let me know how things go.

Thanks again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi D5GR,

Thank you for replying to my question.  I assume the table you posted requires pressing the Ctrl key and the apostrophe at the same, followed by the vowel, right?  This method only works while on Word.  It does not accent the vowel while on the browser.  I am doing it now, this is the result: a. (I want it to appear like this: á).  If I type it without pressing the Ctrl key, this is what I get: 'a.  

The second link was to a standard keyboard.  This laptop has a much smaller keyboard, it does not have the num-pad, and there are no blue embedded numbers that I can use with the fn key.  

Is there another way to type special characters whitough having to use copy and past from Word?  (this is what I've been doing since buying this laptop about 6 months ago!)

Thank you!!!

P

HP Recommended

Hi D5GR,

Thank you for replying to my question.  I assume the table you posted requires pressing the Ctrl key and the apostrophe at the same, followed by the vowel, right?  This method only works while on Word.  It does not accent the vowel while on the browser.  I am doing it now, this is the result: a. (I want it to appear like this: á).  If I type it without pressing the Ctrl key, this is what I get: 'a.  

The second link was to a standard keyboard.  This laptop has a much smaller keyboard, it does not have the num-pad, and there are no blue embedded numbers that I can use with the fn key.  

Is there another way to type special characters whitough having to use copy and past from Word?  (this is what I've been doing since buying this laptop about 6 months ago!)

Thank you!!!

P

HP Recommended

@PaPaPy,

Thanks for posting back.  The only other way to get the accents is to change the language of your operating system.  This is nothing to do with the HP hardware it has to do with Microsoft and its native language settings. 

Most software as well will contain regional language settings such as Microsoft Word.  So when you try and do special characters in a web browser the only thing you can do is use a browser add on that supports word processing and language packs. 

Again you will have to search for this information from Microsoft or from Chrome support.

Thanks again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Good morning,

I recently purchaced an HP14 Notebook but can find a way to access special characters for Word. I'm Afrikaans and a freelance journalist and need the full range of special characters (alt+137 for example). How do I go about it on this notebook?

Warm regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.