Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi Experts,

Is it possible to boot from the SD card reader?  I used an SD card to make my HP recovery media and I can't boot from it at startup.

And now I can't create another HP recovery media on USB stick because it only lets you do it once.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@ddizzle,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forums.  You may be able to boot from the SD card but you will have to go into the system bios and set the boot order first.

Here is a link from the forums on how to boot from a USB flash drive.  The steps will be the same.  If there is an option in the BIOS.  You should be able to set it.  If there is no option in the BIOS you will have to order the recovery media to restore your system.

Here is the link.

How to boot from USB flash drive?/HP Spectre x360

Please let me know how things go.

Thanks again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

There doesn't apear to be an option in the BIOS to boot from the SD card reader.

Is this something that can be added to the next BIOS update - to enable booting from the SD card reader?

HP Recommended

@ddizzle,

Hello again.  As far as any further bios update, I can not say.  Generally the BIOS is built based on the board and the chipset and what it can actually do by design.  If the system does not have that option in the BIOS then I can not see it happening. 

The only thing you can do is check the HP support site for your notebook to see if any BIOS updates come out and read what changes they have made in it.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue.

The thread directed to previously title "How to boot from USB flash drive?/HP Spectre x360" is no good as they never worked out a solution either.

I have both issues.

1. I created my recovery media to an SDCard and would like a way to restore if needed.

2. I have a Windows Boot USB Thumbdrive and I cant get it to appear in any boot lists.

Please can someone provide instructions to boot from USB and the SD Card.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@SimonNWalker, @ddizzle,

Thanks for your posts.  Ok her is what I would try first.  Go and run the HP BIOS recovery to set the bios back to a good working version.

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

While you are doing the BIOS recovery try an boot to the SD card or USB boot drive you created on another computer. 

This will make sure the creation of a bootable device did go through correctly.

Let me know how this goes.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This system uses uefi. If the drive (whether usb flash and I assume sd card) is not formatted for uefi then it won't show in the bios as a boot option.

I use Macrium reflect to create images. When I created the rescue flash drive I had to click a check box that it would be used under uefi. If I didn't do that then it wouldn't work.

Just a thought as I am no expert.

HP Recommended

Firstly,  I dont have another device to check if the recovery was created correctly.

Secondly, Why am I check the BIOS?  I don't weant to do anytthing with the BIOS, the BIOs is fine. I want to restore my system from the recovery images I created on the SC Card.

When I did the creation of the recovery media, it also did a verify and said everything was created correctly.

I have the backup on a MicroSD card that i created using a SD Card adapter in the SD Card slot in the Spectre x360.

I have put this into a USB adapter as well and I have found no way to get it to boot on the Spectre X360.

I need to restore my system to its factory config.

Can someone please provide some support for these laptops.

This is ridiculous.

Thanks

Simon

HP Recommended

Well I think I finally figure it out.

The recovery media is not bootable at all and none of these steps with word from the SD Card Slot, you have to use a USB drive.

So here goes:

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Insert your recovery media USB stick (or in my case a Micro SD Card inserted into a USB adapter) into the USB port.

3. Turn on your computer.

4. Enter the BIOS menu by pressing ESC while booting.

5. Select the RECOVERY option.

6. Follow the onscren prompts to restore your system to its factory image.

I am stil shocked that no one from HP could tell us how to do this after all this posting from people with the same issue.

HP Recommended

Bought an Spectre x360 yesterday and very disappointed now, it's not possible to boot from the internal SD card reader by any ways, nor it's visible in the BIOS boot options.

I am about returning it to the shop, because this feature is essential to me.

Also, very frustrating that HP seen this issue since 2015 haven't made any BIOS update with a fix.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.