Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP8760w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know can i use 512gb SSD SATA as my primary drive for windows 10 64bit and D drive for regular work (office, downloads, google drive etc) and for gaming (Fortnite, pubg mobile, etc), as in HP 8760w specification page, it's mentioned upto 250gb for ssd. will they be any issue if i insert 512gb?

I recently bought an Adata Su750 512 GB SSD for this laptop and will convert it into GPT mode.

The existing Seagate HDD 500 GB will be a secondary drive and for storage purposes (movies, pictures).

i would be using the ssd as C drive for windows 10 64bit pro,  and D drive  

one

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes,

You can insert a 2.5" SATA3 SSD of your preferred brand and capacity. So, even 1 or 2 TB.

Yes you can install the OS on the SSD and use it as the C drive. You can remove the Win installation from the old drive. You can create a bootable USB drive directly from Microsoft and use to install the OS.

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Yes,

You can insert a 2.5" SATA3 SSD of your preferred brand and capacity. So, even 1 or 2 TB.

Yes you can install the OS on the SSD and use it as the C drive. You can remove the Win installation from the old drive. You can create a bootable USB drive directly from Microsoft and use to install the OS.

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

will Sata III be automatically on and if not how to turn it on and from where to check as well

HP Recommended

Hi,

SATA will automatically be on. From BIOS F28  onward it should also be automatically set to  6Gb/s (SATAIII)

You could take a look in BIOS under setup configurations or just check with software when you install the SSD.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

one last thing, should i change IDE to AHCI mode since i will be installing windows in my new ssd and keep old hdd as storage.

or leave it as IDE

What the advantage of AHCI vs IDE. as i know they are few things but does it have real advantage for ssd and hdd?

My old sata HDD is SATA II and my new ssd is SATA III , should i change the mode from IDE to AHCI or let it be at IDE.

HP Recommended

AHCI (native SATA) mode is a necessity for an SSD otherwise there is no Native Command Queing or TRIM. So if your system is set to IDE set it to AHCI but I would be surprised if it is not already set to that as the hard drive is SATA, too. With a 2nd gen Intel Core system might be limited to SATA-II operation which will not really pose a problem as a SATA-III device will adapt to run in SATA-II mode. But I see one of the later BIOS updates may enable SATA-III. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

ok i will change it from the bios, as it did not change itself when i insert ssd as a secondary drive. 

in the speecy program, it did showed adata ssd as Sata III and wd black hdd as Sata II.

and even in bios they is an option to choose 3gb/s or 6gb/s.

let hope changing to AHCI will be benefit  for both drives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.