Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys!

I'm using HP Probook 450 G1, I bought a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB to upgrade the original HDD (Seagate SSHD 500GB).

I've installed a clean Windows 10 on the SSD. I've putted the SSD in the main SATA and the HDD in the optical caddy which replaced the DVD drive. 

The problems are: Windows 10 hangs at the windows logo, the spinner keep spinning for endless and I have to hard-reset my laptop or I can boot windows successfully but the windows can't see the HDD in optical caddy but when i use Seagate DiskWizzard in HirenBoot 15.2, it seem like my latop can connect with the HDD. Sometimes it boot successfully, windows recogize the HDD and I can see the HDD partition in Explorer, but when I shutdow my laptop, and boot it again, windows hang again. If I disable the "Optical Drive" in bios or remove the HDD optical caddy, my laptop boot smoothy. I've tried re-install windows 10 on the ssd for several times but it didn't work.

I've already deleted partition that have the previous Windows on the HDD, upgrade bios (bios v 1.31), turn off fastboot in bios,... Also, I've tried to install both SSD and HDD to another laptop (Vaio) and it worked fine, nothing happened. I wonder if HP Probook 450 G1 doesn't support to use HDD in optical drive.

Please help me, I'm so desperate righ now. 

Thank you for reading my post!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

If I disable the "Optical Drive" in bios or remove the HDD optical caddy, my laptop boot smoothy.

Why is it not an option to remove optical drive in the BIOS (boot order I assume). When you do that it boots smoothly but does the system see the HDD in the optical caddy? 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer, thank you for replying my post.

I took some bios config photos, please check it for me, and a photo a took from Seagate DiskWizard from HirenBoot , this soft can see 2 disks (just only this soft), but as i said, I can't boot successfully or can't see the Disk 2: HDD. And I've fullwiped the HDD using DiskErase utilities in bios, formated it to MBR ( I have to connect the HDD with a sata external and use Mini Partition to do this). I took these photos by using my phone, please forgive me.

HP Recommended

Please help me! 

HP Recommended

The pictures are showing that the 500 gig hard drive has 2 NTFS partitions and then some unallocated space at the end. There is no problem with the way the BIOS is set, except untick CD-ROM boot in the last BIOS screen.. 

I would truly nuke the 500 gig drive...make it a raw volume by removing both the existing partitions. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer, I've done what you suggested: untick CD-ROM, deleted 2 volumn... but it's not better.

Today I bring my laptop with the optical bay to HP Customer Service in my country - Vietnam. I told they all of my issues, they checked it and said:" Your model doesn't support to use HDD in optical bay".

I can sadly accept the answer but i can't understand that, as I said, some lucky moment, I can boot successfully. I'm not lucky, I guess. Is there anyway I can do, Huffer? Do you want to know what motherboard of my laptop is? I'm hopeless.

HP Recommended

No model is designed to have a hard drive in the optical bay it is an aftermarket modification and you could have saved the effort to take it to HP. I personally do not use the optical bay adapters. They are slow but if you just need storage they work for most people. Without being able to get my hands on your laptop or the same model I am tapped out for explanations. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your helping, I guess that I have to use external sata box to deal with this.

Again, thank you very much Huffer! 

HP Recommended

Hi friends.

I recently bought a Sandisk SSD and put it into my original HDD Sata3 port. And original HDD I removed from laptop. Then I installed a clean version of Windows 10 without problems , SSD works fine with full speed.

But after I got an HDD caddy for original HDD and attach it into optical disk drive port ,  I faced exactly the same problem as this friend here faced. I tried every possible solution from BIOS (updating it , changing variables like Boot in UEFI Hybrid mode , change boot order with tons of different combinations )but it didn`t work. Everytime I disable optical disk drive , SSD works perfectly. 

And finally I found the solution , actually it is not still a definite solution. I changed SATA speed from 6 Gb/s to 3Gb/s from BIOS settings and voila...now both SSD drive and HDD drive inside caddy works normally. Windows identified both drives and I can access both of them.

But this is the problem.. now SSD works in half speed , it had around 530 MB/s read speeds but now it had 280 MB/s max..

So some HP experts could address the solution to this phenomenia ?  Why HDD in caddy doesn`t work when SATA speed is in 6Gb/s ? Or solution to this question from another way that how can I activate 6 Gb/s only for main HDD slot (which SSD stays in) ?  

I`d be appreciated for any updated answers from experts..

HP Recommended

What you say makes perfect sense. The optical bay SATA port is always at least one SATA version slower than the main SATA port for the HDD. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.