Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

So my original reason to open my Stream was to replace a swollen battery, that got me on YouTube looking up Stream disassembly. I am well out of warranty so very comfortable going aftermarket for this repair and upgrade.

IMG_0011.JPG

Any way as I was on YouTube a couple of videos came up about adding RAM and an SSD to a few Stream models were also in the list of repair videos. I was shocked and a little let down to learn blocks are in place to stop a user from using the built-in M.2 slot, that is home to the WIFI/Blue Tooth module, as a place for an SSD and new boot drive. I will add 1 Stream Model can indeed use an SSD after a BIOS Update as a Boot Drive. ( BIOS was updated from V15 to V16 as staying on V15 the adapter does not work)

So I guess my question would be why would HP not remove any blocks for older 32 GB eMMC models as Windows10 itself needs more then 32 GB storage?

I know Windows and it's unruly updates are not HP's fault, however to not unlock the ability to add more storage by the user, is going to turn most Streams into an e-waste problem. Would it not make better press to at least show they care?

After all it is a few lines of code pushed into an update from their own website, something I am willing to bet has been done lots in the R&D Department already.  Over the Years in Electronics and Computer devices and their communities I have had experience being in and around, (Casio/HTC/Nokia-Microsoft/Motorola/Nintendo), the users always show it can be done after a Company says it can't be done.

Even here the General answer to a user question of adding an SSD is "Nope" can't be done, when in fact it can. You just have to jump through a few hoops like a Linux app or two and we have fully updated Stream laptops booting from 250 GB SSD's.

I hope I do not come across as a ranting loon, but would it not be better to build brand loyalty by working with the people who have already bought your products??

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @BarryMo67

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Stream 14, swollen battery. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gaya1238

HP Support

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.