Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I got my new laptop for christmas and a few days ago HP support assistant told me that there was an "Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver Update" Version: 10.18.15.4281Ep3. I downloaded the update but after 4 attempts at trying to install through HP support assistant I kept getting the same message "Failed Instalation". I then went to my downloads through File Explorer and found the downloaded file. When i click the file it takes me to the install wizard and i can begin the installation but about 2/3 of the way though the install i get the same message "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and then the install ends without completing. Im not sure how to find out what process is using the file or how to make the install complete so i would really appreciate your assistance. 

Many thanks Rich 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Follow the steps below to remove the driver:

1. Press Windows key + R
  2. Type devmgmt.msc
  3. Press Ok
  4. Right click on the Graphic adapter and select Uninstall
  5. Restart the computer

After restarting the computer run the Windows Update and the latest update will be installed.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Follow the steps below to remove the driver:

1. Press Windows key + R
  2. Type devmgmt.msc
  3. Press Ok
  4. Right click on the Graphic adapter and select Uninstall
  5. Restart the computer

After restarting the computer run the Windows Update and the latest update will be installed.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hi Manjunath

Thanks very much for your help. Your solution worked perfectly and the driver update is now installed. I really appreciate your help with this issue. 

Regards

Rich M

HP Recommended

I followed the same steps. 1, 2  and 3.  But I cannot find the "graphic driver" to right click and unistall.

Youtube and other websites with videos are stalling.  I am not sure why this is.  Other devices are ok but HP is having problems.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @luset,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing Video streaming issue with your computer. 

Dont' worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

May I please know the product number/model of your computer? Click here

Have you tried different browsers?

Enable 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering' option in Internet Explorer.

Follow the procedure below. 

Right-click on the Windows button. Open Control Panel.

On the top right side of the control panel, you have an option to change view by small icons/large icons

Select  Internet Options.

On the Advanced tab, locate the Accelerated graphics section.

Ensure the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box is selected. If not click the check box

Click Apply, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and then restart it so that the change takes effect.

Also, refer to this Microsoft article for assistance. 

Please do run an extensive test on the computer to test for Hardware failures. Click here for assistance. 

Run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated. Click here. 

Let me know how it goes. Please provide the requested information for better assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the HP Pavilion 360 

the HD Graphics Update fails to install. 

After the first 3 steps, I do not find a Graphic adapter to uninstall in the Device Manager.

Under "Display Adapters" there is "Intel(R) HD Graphics 520"

Is that the item to uninstall?

HP Recommended

@Jandersong

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the Intel HD graphics driver update fails to install,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Did you attempt to update the graphics card from the HP support assistant or the HP website?

While you respond to that, to answer your query:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 - Yes this is the adapter you need to uninstall,

Then follow the steps advised by the previous tech.

Click here to update the drivers from the HP website.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.