Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ57-339wm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello there, folks:

I am curious as to whether or not there is a compatibility list for replacement screens for my particular model of laptop; a Compaq Presario CQ57-339wm?  If so, could someone please direct me to this information, or if anyone happens to know of any compatible screens that will work for replacement, it would be greatly appreciated.  I use the laptop for work, don't want to go through the hassle of data-swapping over to another system, or generally having to use another laptop when I've grown particularly fond of this one.  That said, again, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance!

NXS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes I guess I have the advantage of having actually replaced lots of laptop screens and being familiar with the market. 

You do not have to buy the HP Part you just have to get the right kind of screen. I will be looking for the next few minutes and will post back with possible tightwad-friendly solutions. 

This is the designation for the actual HP replacement for just the screen:

(3) 15.6-in, HD, LED, BrightView display panel 645096-001

This is probably the most common laptop screen on the market...it is a 15.6 inch 1366 x 768 LED

$24 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP156WH4-TL-A1-LG-Dell-Acer-Tos-15-6-HD-LED-LCD-Screen-Display-LP156WH4-TLA1...

$35 on eBay and this one shows the front and the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP156WH4-TL-A1-LG-NEW-15-6-HD-LED-LCD-Laptop-Screen-Display-LP156WH4-TLA1-/1...

The key is you want to buy the screen by type...take the old screen out and look at it. How does it connect to the laptop? Where does the cable plug into the screen and what does the interface look like? You can also get the screen maker model number and search by that as many laptop makers use the same screens they buy from LG, Samsung, etc. 

In the parlance what you have here is a 40-pin LED lower left connector, 15.6 HD laptop screen.

If you like amazon.com better than eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/LTN156AT05-Samsung-LAPTOP-Display-compatible/dp/B004QEJUXO

The Service manual does not really show the way technicians actually replace a screen, but this video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwKmK7pqjXY

Post back with any more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Actually another way around which means a screen can be used for many machines. Your machine uses

15.6-in, HD, LED, BrightView display assembly (includes microphone and wireless antenna transceivers and cables)

• Equipped with webcam part# 645095-001
  • Not equipped with webcam part# 645094-001

Same for many CQ57 machines.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello There, banhien:

First of all, thank you for your reply.  I'm not sure what you mean regarding your wording, but if you're implying as to whether or not I'm looking for a screen that can be used for many machines--specifically my CQ57-339wm, that's exactly what I'm asking for.  It's an older system, I'm looking to be economical and not invest in excess of $30-$45 for a used replacement.  My cable is perfectly fine; my daughter accidentally knocked the laptop off my work desk, and while the screen is damaged, it still works well enough to see approximately half of the screen and there was no damage to the webcam. 

I'm just looking for a list of compatible replacement screens (not necessarily limited to the CQ57) that will work for my computer.  Glossy or Matte is of no importance to me as I am always sitting in front of the laptop so the view from the peripheral is of no concern to me.  Idealistically, if I could find a good used one for under $30 that would be absolutely ideal. 

I know it appears that I am a cheapskate; perhaps I am... but if I'm going to spend in excess of $50 for a replacement screeen, given the system's celeron processor and ram limitations, I might as well just carry on with the dreaded laptop replacement; which will be a pain in the bullocks to downgrade to Windows 7, completely update, protect, and then do a data transfer. 

I understand if you do not wish to assist me any further but I am hopeful that if that is the case, that someone else might be willing to help me with a list of compatible screens I can then search for on Amazon/eBay for a good, used one from a reputable seller with a high rating. 

Thanks again for your reply and anyone else that might have something to add to the conversation. 

HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

Bumping for one last request.  If no one responds, admins, feel free to close the post. 

HP Recommended

Yes I guess I have the advantage of having actually replaced lots of laptop screens and being familiar with the market. 

You do not have to buy the HP Part you just have to get the right kind of screen. I will be looking for the next few minutes and will post back with possible tightwad-friendly solutions. 

This is the designation for the actual HP replacement for just the screen:

This is probably the most common laptop screen on the market...it is a 15.6 inch 1366 x 768 LED

$24 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP156WH4-TL-A1-LG-Dell-Acer-Tos-15-6-HD-LED-LCD-Screen-Display-LP156WH4-TLA1...

$35 on eBay and this one shows the front and the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP156WH4-TL-A1-LG-NEW-15-6-HD-LED-LCD-Laptop-Screen-Display-LP156WH4-TLA1-/1...

The key is you want to buy the screen by type...take the old screen out and look at it. How does it connect to the laptop? Where does the cable plug into the screen and what does the interface look like? You can also get the screen maker model number and search by that as many laptop makers use the same screens they buy from LG, Samsung, etc. 

In the parlance what you have here is a 40-pin LED lower left connector, 15.6 HD laptop screen.

If you like amazon.com better than eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/LTN156AT05-Samsung-LAPTOP-Display-compatible/dp/B004QEJUXO

The Service manual does not really show the way technicians actually replace a screen, but this video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwKmK7pqjXY

Post back with any more questions.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Huffer, you are absolutely BRILLIANT!!!  The tightwad in me appreciates it more than you will ever know!! 🙂 

HP Recommended

@Huffer

It seems you are rather knowledgeable on screen replacements and I have a question I cannot get a clear answer for so I would appreciate your expertise.

I have an hp laptop model 15-af131dx.

It was purchased in United States so I assume it's the US model (conflicting descriptiins online). The screen on it is damaged and I know I can replace it with the same model because they are sold in several places.

What my question is, is there a compatible screen replacement that offers touch screen capability?

The current screen part number is :
Innolux
N156bge-e42 rev c1
It's a 30 pin connector
Not touch screen

I want to see if I can upgrade it to a touch screen since I need to replace it anyway but cannot seem to find an answer on if this is possible. I tried looking on hp part numbers to see if they had one listed as a compatible upgrade but could not find anything.

If you can tell me if this is even possible to do I would appreciate it. If you happen to know of a suitable model I would appreciate the tip/ link as well .

Cheers

HP Recommended

Touchscreen is not a possibility. It was not offered on that platform so the circuitry in the motherboard to detect and use the signals from a digitizer are not present. 

The non touch panel is this one:

Confusion because if I search by HP Part number it comes up as a 40 pin but if I use the screen manufacturer part number you give it comes up as 30 pin. 

This is probably the most common screen on the market, HD LED 15.6 inch

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.