Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP Omen laptop about four days ago. The day after I bought it, I started playing games. From time to time (about every 15 minutes), my WASD keys would get stuck and repeat themselves in games (my character would keep walking).

I would have to press the key, regardless of the amount of pressure, to stop the "key spam".

I disabled sticky and filter keys, as well as made sure that the keyboard's drivers were up to date, and that the device wouldn't be in power saving mode (anyways, I always game with my charger plugged in).

I'm sort of speechless, considering I bought this less than a week ago, and the keyboard keys don't have anything under them (I've been very cautious about not letting anything slip under there) and that the keys are starting to latch during games. 

Another speculation, it also seems to happen mid-way through games, usually when my CPU and GPU are at their highs, when my computer's temperatures are higher (75-85 C for both CPU and GPU).

If anyone could help me figure this out, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BinaryGreen

I read your post about problems with your new HP PC and wanted to help.

You should not be having problems with a PC this new.

Sounds like the laptop is overheating and that is causing it to lag and also the keyboard to act up.  I don't know if this model is considered a "gaming machine" but you should be able to get a reading on that from HP.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.

I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

BinaryGreen

I read your post about problems with your new HP PC and wanted to help.

You should not be having problems with a PC this new.

Sounds like the laptop is overheating and that is causing it to lag and also the keyboard to act up.  I don't know if this model is considered a "gaming machine" but you should be able to get a reading on that from HP.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.

I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes, thank you. I don't think this whole laptop line was fit with good fans, could be the issue.

I monitored with HWInfo and things turned out normal, temps for both CPU and GPU were no more than 90 celsius, both had a memory usage of about 23-25%.

Another thing, if you can answer this:

I realize my GPU loses its power when the laptop is unplugged from the charger, but even after playing for a while when the laptop is charging, it starts to lag my game. Then, I have to unplug then replug it back in, and it will resume playing smoothly. To further make it clear:

Unplugged = 20 FPS

Plugged = 70 FPS

Plugged (after a while on some ocassions) = 20 FPS

Not sure why this is happening, i'm just gonna bring this back to Best Buy and see what they could do. Most likely I have a defective laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.