Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY 15t-q400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently, one screw on the most left topest side fell out of the bottom of the laptop.  I was trying to put the screw back in, but the screw was not able to go back in and it just keeps spinning.  When I hold the laptop and turn back on its bottom, I can hear some sound came from the laptop.  It seems the other part which hold the screw may be broken.  I also noticed the screen is not as sturdy as it used to be for the side that the screw came off. Can you give any advice on which parts may be broken ? And how to repair ? I don't want the broken piece inside the main body affect the normal function of the laptop.   And I'm worrying about the screen may fall off because of the missing screw.   I'd like to replace the broken piece so the screw can go back into the hole and my screen is holding sturdy.  If you can provide the parts link and give advices on how to fix would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @DQMKE, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand one of the screws on your laptop is missing and you are unable to put the screw back in so you need the part number for the broken part.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you remove the screw by yourself or did the screw come by itself?

As you mentioned you are unable to put the screw back into your PC, it looks like the thread where the screw fits in has gone bad so you are unable to put the screw back in.

Since you have not provided the serial or product number of your PC, it is difficult for me to provide you the part number.

However, you can refer the product maintenance and maintenance service guide for your laptop and find the part number for yourself.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the message.  

The screw came by itself.  I noticed it screw was on the table when I was tring to pack the laptop the other day.   

The product number of my laptop is L6F67AV.   The serial number is: 5CG5431276.   I got 16G memory model, and I could not find the part number from the guide you provided.  

Can you just tell me the exact part number ?  

I called your customer service yesterday  and was told they can't help me since my manufacture warranty iexpired.  They asked me to find a local computer store to repair.   I'm not happy with customer help service at all.  

HP Recommended

Unless you have done this a few times it is hard to know what to do. The part that needs replacement, at minimum is

Display hinges, includes: 720548-001 (2) Left and right hinge covers (3) Left and right hinges and brackets

See p. 18

Also see pp. 41-48. You will have to remove the screen and replace the hinges inside the display assembly. Also check to see if additional parts are damaged while you are in there looking around. 

Order hinges here:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=3304369891E342DBB75441122FA7F502&SearchIn=P...

What happened is one of the hinges seized up and gradually pulled on the screw until it stripped the threads in the lower part of the hinge bracket where the screw goes in from the bottom. You should replace both hinges as the other one may be in the process of having this happen to it. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information with more details!

It seems the parts I have to order may varies.  I'm not a fan to leave the laptop opened and wait for parts to come.  

How much would it cost to send back to HP to get all fixed ?  Can I still buy any service or extended warranty from HP to get this to be taking care of ?

HP Recommended

All I can do is escalate this and see if HP will come in here and offer you any assistance. Generally, this is not treated as a warranty issue so ordinary support channels are not very helpful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.