Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 Model 13-ac023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I unintentionally drained my laptop battery to zero by leaving a device plugged in. Now the laptop wouldn't charge, i.e. the charging light isn't coming on at all.

I have tried several fixes, including holding down the power button and holding down both the power button and F6 simultaneously for over 30 seconds. That is supposed to cause a hard reset. Perhaps because the battery is so completely drained, the flashing HP logo I'm supposed to expect doesn't come up. 

I am quite certain that both the battery (I only just used it) and the charger (I tried it on a different device) are fine.

I don't have another laptop so it will be real tough to drop it off with a service station for a week or so. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Olujimi 

If you actually drained the battery all the way down, it is not going to get better.

Battery does not typically recover from zero percent charge. 

You can, if you wish, run the component test on the battery.

Run Component Tests

Contributed by  Wes_notebooks 

Testing for Hardware Failures

HP Document

HP PCs and Tablets - About UEFI and the Startup Menu

===================================================

Battery likely needs to be replaced.

HP will probably not replace the battery because the battery did not fail on its own.  Having said that, know that I am not HP - what I say is not HP policy.  If you would like to do so, contact HP and plead your case.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open >  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

=============================================================

Purchase Options

1. If you determine that you need to purchase a battery, AC adapter, or power cord for your computer, check for the part(s) in HP PartSurfer. 
  2. If / When you know the battery type / part number, you may check for the battery at the Parts Store
  3. If the part is not available from HP, use your search engine to find – and purchase - the part in your region.

HP Document:  HP Notebook PCs - Purchasing a Replacement Battery

Find your Product, Part(s), and Replacement Procedure

See:  HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

OR

Open Support Home

• Enter the full model name
  • When the website opens, select category
  • Look for and open the Maintenance and Service guide for your computer
  • Part numbers and replacement procedure are listed in the component replacement section (wording varies)

Details...

If you would like to do so, investigate replacing the battery on your own.

Open Category Manuals 

Open document HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC Model numbers: 13-w000 - 13-w099 Model numbers: 13-ac000 - 13-ac099 M...

Part Numbers and Replacement procedure is in Chapter 5, Page 26

========================================================

Check for parts at the PartSurfer Website / HP Parts Store

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

NOTE >> Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find the part number at your favorite online store.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac023dx

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks @Dragon_Fur for trying to help. I'm quite convinced that the problem is not the battery. First, this isn't the first time this is happening; it just hasn't every happened when the battery was drained to zero. Second, mutt research for solution suggests that this is a common problem with the Spectre X360 owners where the device fails to charge. 

HP Recommended

@Olujimi 

You are welcome.

In the case of the battery research to which you refer regarding the Spectre, you are in a better position to judge than am I.

Why?

• I rely on HP documentation, alerts, and bulletins for information.
  • I do  not have any Spectre devices at the moment.
  • When I did have a lovely Spectre (two years ago?) - the  device never displayed the behavior you describe.

Nothing I have read indicates the battery will recovery (repeatedly, even?) after having drained past critical and to zero charge.  That it apparently does so is outside of my experience.

In that light, I must withdraw - nothing I can add will likely help you solve common problems that have no documented solution.

Perhaps another Expert will recognize the symptoms you describe and have something to add.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.