Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-by-0132nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Some weeks ago the bottom carcass of my laptop HP 17-by-0132nf broke and since then I cannot close the laptop anymore. I need then to replace the bottom carcass by a new one. Do you know where can I buy it? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Can we perhaps see pictures? Diagnosing exactly what is broken and needs replacement is not easy to do and takes an experienced eye. 

HP Recommended

Yes, sure! I didn't took photos because the problem is quite evident. I tried to fix it myself and see if doing some bad DYI I could succeed, well, as you can see from the pictures, I didn't. I verified all the different functions, and the laptop continues working perfectly. 

16036336471294554511736417788261.jpg

16036341108267428610518897962973.jpg

HP Recommended

It will take a while for the pictures to become visible. I am checking to see if it looks like a hinge problem which caused the cracking. That means you need to replace more than the cracked plastic pieces. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer. Yes, you're right, I can confirm you that the cracked has been caused because of the hinges. In that case what more do I have to replace? Carcass + hinges?

HP Recommended

Carcass is not quite the right English word it's Chassis. Anyway, possibilities are you have to replace the lower case which is the "tub" the motherboard sits in, the top case which is the flat plastic surrounding the keyboard, the hinges, and the back panel of the screen housing. It just depends on where the hinges are mounted. The damage is caused by the hinge seizing up. It will not only chew up the plastic of the chassis parts but also the brass fittings where the screen is anchored. Once the screw mounts are chewed up, you have to replace the corresponding chassis part the mounts are fitted into. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.