Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

So I was watching netflix and I got the warning that I had ~5 minutes to shut down the computer or it would shut down itself so that it could update itself. I got done closing things and shut it down by hitting the power button and holding it down.  Next I turned the laptop back on and it started to update so I zoned out of it and watched something on my phone. While doing so I noticed some type of an error updating message and did not touch is because last time this happened it just rebooted without the update. However instead it turned itself off and did not turn back on. I tried hitting the power buitton to turn it back on and that did not work. I also tried the suggestions I found on this support website such as taking out the battery pack and unplugging the AC adapter for the power source.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Spinto46,

Thank you for the update.

As you have determined that the adapter is working, it could be the power button board in the notebook.  The notebook will require a repair.  Please contact HP Support for service options. They would provide you with an estimate before completing any repairs.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

If  you are not under warranty, a local repair shop should be able to provide you with an estimate also.

If  you wish  to consider replacing it yourself to see it that is the issue, here is a link to the:

HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Please note chapter 4, page 52 for the replacement part number and removal and replacement instructions. 

For your convenience, here is a link to the:

HP Parts Store

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs Up” below is a great way to say thanks!   :generic:

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Spinto46,

Welcome to the HP Forum!  

This is a wonderful location to converse with  the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

What is your precise model of G7 notebook?

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp you were watching Netflix when you got a notice that you had 5 minutes to shutdown the computer or it would do a restart.  You closed your programs and powered the notebook off using the power button. On the restart, the update started to install. While installing the update you received an error message but did not pay attention as you assume it would revert the changes and restart again.  It powered off but did not restart.   You have tried a hard reset as suggested in another post in the HP Forum but there was no change.

Can you start in safe mode?  

HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎

When you try to start the notebook exactly what happens?  Do you get a blank/black screen? Do you see any blinking lights or hear any beeps?

I await your reply.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I am not sure how to start in safe mode as when ever I try to power the computer up no lights come on and the screen stays black, there is no noise produced by the machine and I am very unsure as there has never been any exposure to something like water that would have caused this. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Spinto46,

Thank you for your reply.

I grasp that when you try to power on the notebook, you do not hear any noises such as the hard drive spinning up or see any lights.  Here is a link to help you determine it the AC adapter is functioning:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Using the AC Power Adapter

What is your precise model of HP notebook?  There is a link in my previous post to assist you with determining that information.

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

The power adapter is functioning and you are correct in that there is no noise or lights coming from the notebook

The product ID is: DOM25UA#ABA

Model: g7-2251dx

HP Recommended

Hi @Spinto46,

Thank you for the update.

As you have determined that the adapter is working, it could be the power button board in the notebook.  The notebook will require a repair.  Please contact HP Support for service options. They would provide you with an estimate before completing any repairs.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

If  you are not under warranty, a local repair shop should be able to provide you with an estimate also.

If  you wish  to consider replacing it yourself to see it that is the issue, here is a link to the:

HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Please note chapter 4, page 52 for the replacement part number and removal and replacement instructions. 

For your convenience, here is a link to the:

HP Parts Store

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs Up” below is a great way to say thanks!   :generic:

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.