Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP spectre x360 15 (2017)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased the new 15 inch x360 that is being sold by Bestbuy, model # 15-BL012DX.  The store did not have a display model to get some hands-on time with and I have not used other HP devices but I have noticed that the tension in the space bar is different from the rest of the keys on the keyboard. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is normal for HP  devices or if this is a defect in my computer and it will need to be returned/exchanged.  

While it is not unpleasant when typing I am afraid that if this is not normal that the space bar will be more likely to break after limited use.  

I look forward to hearing back from anyone regarding this issue. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

I was able to find a store that had the computer in question on display and I found that the spacebar there was also on the loose side, however, this lets me know that it is likely due to the size of the key and wanting to ensure that it is easy to use when not pressing it down right in the center.  

I am primarily responding at this point in case others in the future have the same question and want final answer.

If you fall into this category please note that my spacebar was working with no problems it simply felt as if the pressure required to depress it was less than the other smaller keys.  This seemed to be uniform across the two computers the I tested (my own and a floor unit at an area Bestbuy), however, this might have been an early model defect as these were likely the first of these laptops manufactured. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @mcca0590

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are not sure whether there is a defect with the spacebar on your computer or not. Happy to help.

Have you tested any other HP notebook's keyboard?

The issue you are facing is not a software issue for me to help you with online. 

Recommend you to try another notebook's keyboard, if it is the same then it is not a hardware issue to be worried about. 

If you are not happy with the response from the spacebar on your computer, you can contact our phone support for the service options available. 

You can also refer to the below articles for assistance in keyboard settings and troubleshooting.

HP PCs - Using Keyboard Shortcuts and Special Keys (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83, 

Thank you for your quick response.  

While I am aware that this might be a hardware problem I was wondering if you, as an HP support agent would know if the space bar is intentionally left looser than the other keyboard keys as the pressure required to depress the other keys is noticeably different. As I mentioned above, when typing it is not actually a problem, however, I do not know if this is suggestive of a larger problem that indicates faulty hardware.  I will attempt to visit a store and see if this is simply the way in which the space bar is made. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The sensitivity of the spacebar is the same as other keys, however, I will not be able to comment on the spacebar on your notebook without having a look at it. Request you to check different notebook and if you feel that the spacebar is not how it is on other computers, please contact our phone support to have the keyboard replaced. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

I was able to find a store that had the computer in question on display and I found that the spacebar there was also on the loose side, however, this lets me know that it is likely due to the size of the key and wanting to ensure that it is easy to use when not pressing it down right in the center.  

I am primarily responding at this point in case others in the future have the same question and want final answer.

If you fall into this category please note that my spacebar was working with no problems it simply felt as if the pressure required to depress it was less than the other smaller keys.  This seemed to be uniform across the two computers the I tested (my own and a floor unit at an area Bestbuy), however, this might have been an early model defect as these were likely the first of these laptops manufactured. 

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi @mcca0590,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.