Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-aw002lat
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently was gifted a Pavilion 15 (Dec 25 2016), it's been working lovely for the past months, however, recently it has been producing a rather rough sounding whirring noise. Given that it might be the HDD I am wondering if it's normal for a Notebook to produce this kind of sound or if it's indeed abnormal.

The whole laptop vibrates lightly and sometimes the noise stops, only to start and repeat with second intervals, but most of the time it remains steady.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

In my experience it is usually the fan which can make a loud noise. If the hard disk is making a loud noise it is amìlmost certainly about to fail.

It is not normal for laptop to make loud noise.

Anyway the hard drive should be in the bottom right corner and the fan in the top right corner of the laptop. Can you tell which is making the noise?

They both can be replaced quite easy either by technician or even by yourself.

Let me know,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

In my experience it is usually the fan which can make a loud noise. If the hard disk is making a loud noise it is amìlmost certainly about to fail.

It is not normal for laptop to make loud noise.

Anyway the hard drive should be in the bottom right corner and the fan in the top right corner of the laptop. Can you tell which is making the noise?

They both can be replaced quite easy either by technician or even by yourself.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

It's definitively the fan then, it just sounds rough most of the time but sometimes it dies down into the usual soft whine, might just be the need for extra cooling as it's a constant sound, there's no clattering or variation in tone save for when it's spooling up or winding down. Thanks a lot, it was starting to worry me since the laptop itself is virtually brand new.

HP Recommended

Your welcome Mike,

Yes when the computer heats up the fan make quite a bit of noise, but it shouldn't be constant. You can try cleaning the in and out vents with some compressed air (cans available at local electronics store). Only use when computer is off and cold and do not spray for too long as the canned cxompressed air tends to freeze. 

If the fan is constantly at full power you could consider getting the computer opened and fan cleaned or replaced. 

Saying this, my own fan on my HP laptop when it spins up makes quite a lot of noise, usually when playing game or using photo rendering software.

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.