Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY M7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased the HP Envy M7-n011dx, with the hope of being able to install a M.2 ssd in it to boot from as well as run my programs. 

After looking at the manual for it I found that it did in fact have the port for the SSD, however, looking through the forums I am now more confused then ever as to whether this laptop has the m.2 port enabled. 

Before i go and order any hardware or try to take the computer apart after purchase, I was hoping that someone could let me know if this particular model allows for the use of the M.2 SSD. 

My research seems to show the n0xx models have the port enabled where the n1xx models do not. 

Anybody have any ideas or input? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not exactly. The Manual says this about that:

SSD conƭgurations , (available for i7 + GTX PCA) ● 512 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC) ● 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC) ● 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC) value

So only the models with an i7 + GTX graphics, i.e the 950M has an M.2 port and I think yours is 940M. 

I have followed this whole M.2 debacle here since the beginning and here is what we have seen; models with an M.2 port that is dead, disabled. Models that have an M.2 port clearly depicted in the Manual but when you open the case, you find only the traces for an M.2 but no actual port soldered on. 

So I hesitate strongly to give any advice on adding an M.2 drive to any HP laptop that does not have it from the factory. That is the only way you can be 100% sure it will work. If you are brave, at a minimum, open it up first and check to see if the mounting hardware is actually there. Don't order the M.2 drive before the laptop even gets to your door as several people have done, to their great disappointment and expense. 

The only way an M.2 is a "gotta have" is if you can use an NVME PCI-e version, not SATA. SATA based M.2s are not significantly faster than a good old 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD which we absolutely can say will work. And that is another story altogether: which models can accept an NVME M.2? 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not exactly. The Manual says this about that:

SSD conƭgurations , (available for i7 + GTX PCA) ● 512 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC) ● 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC) ● 128 GB M2 SATA-3 (TLC) value

So only the models with an i7 + GTX graphics, i.e the 950M has an M.2 port and I think yours is 940M. 

I have followed this whole M.2 debacle here since the beginning and here is what we have seen; models with an M.2 port that is dead, disabled. Models that have an M.2 port clearly depicted in the Manual but when you open the case, you find only the traces for an M.2 but no actual port soldered on. 

So I hesitate strongly to give any advice on adding an M.2 drive to any HP laptop that does not have it from the factory. That is the only way you can be 100% sure it will work. If you are brave, at a minimum, open it up first and check to see if the mounting hardware is actually there. Don't order the M.2 drive before the laptop even gets to your door as several people have done, to their great disappointment and expense. 

The only way an M.2 is a "gotta have" is if you can use an NVME PCI-e version, not SATA. SATA based M.2s are not significantly faster than a good old 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD which we absolutely can say will work. And that is another story altogether: which models can accept an NVME M.2? 

HP Recommended

That saves alot of heart break and swearing! Thanks! 

I plan on upgradeing to an SSD one way or another as I edit alot of photos and the 5400 RPM Drive is really really really slow for that purpose. 

I was just hoping for a dual HDD machine. Oh well the deal i got was awesome so no complaints or love lost. Just glad to know ahead of time. 

thanks again! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.