Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
F9T21EA#ABU (Product number)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi 🙂

Could you please tell me if it would be possible to upgrade my memory from 2x4 GB to 2x8 GB Ram for my Pavilion 15-n297ea laptop? If so, would this specification be compatible:

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM

Many thanks,

Hory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is what the Manual says:

Supports up to 12 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600MHz module), (select models only) Supports the following system RAM configurations: ● 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1)

Manual

See p. 42 for memory upgrade "how to". 

HP lists two possible replacement 8 gig modules:

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 693374-001

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 670034-001

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3L-12800-204-Pin-SoDimm-M471b1g73bh0-yk0/dp/B00J8U549K/ref=sr_1_2?i...

The memory should have the same specs as the memory linked above. 1.35 volt and CL=11 and 8 black memory blocks on the side, not 4.  I would need to see exactly which Crucial kit you are asking about. 

Even though the specs say maximium of 12 gigs, in fact success has been widely reported with upgrading to 2 x 8 or 16 gigs of memory. Computers do not tend to have maximum memory consiting of mixed modules. If one slot will take an 8 gig module so will the other one as a general rule. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is what the Manual says:

Supports up to 12 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600MHz module), (select models only) Supports the following system RAM configurations: ● 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1)

Manual

See p. 42 for memory upgrade "how to". 

HP lists two possible replacement 8 gig modules:

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 693374-001

8 GB memory module PC3L 12800 1600Mhz Shared 670034-001

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3L-12800-204-Pin-SoDimm-M471b1g73bh0-yk0/dp/B00J8U549K/ref=sr_1_2?i...

The memory should have the same specs as the memory linked above. 1.35 volt and CL=11 and 8 black memory blocks on the side, not 4.  I would need to see exactly which Crucial kit you are asking about. 

Even though the specs say maximium of 12 gigs, in fact success has been widely reported with upgrading to 2 x 8 or 16 gigs of memory. Computers do not tend to have maximum memory consiting of mixed modules. If one slot will take an 8 gig module so will the other one as a general rule. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank your for uour advice and quick reply. The Crucial memory I was thinking about is the following:

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/pavilion-15-%28intel-ddr3%29/CT5044866

However, if you recommend the Samsung moduls , than I will go with those ones; doesn't really matter  the producer as long as they have 16 GB in total. 

HP Recommended

Those are high density 4 black blocks on the side not 8. Probably will be OK and you take no risk with Crucial as long as you buy the memory by searching for your laptop model and Crucual says it is compatible they will make it good. Just from long experience we know HP laptops tend to prefer low density memory. 

HP Recommended

I will just take the safe route and buy the Samsung memory you suggested. Many thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.