Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP PAV 15 - AB551TX i7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Guys,

I am interested in buying a brand new "HP PAV 15 - AB551TX i7" but I have some doubts if it fits my requirements since I have a lot of processor intensive work to be done on it.

I would like to have a

- corei7 computer

- with about 16GB of RAM

When I checked the specs for this computer HP PAV 15 - AB551TX i7 it doesnt say

- how many DIMMS (RAM SLOTS) are availabl?

- and it doesnt say what is the maximum supported RAM on this computer?

http://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c05068580

Can anyone answer these questions?

Thanks a lot guys.

Oh btw please let me know how I can check these stats for myself when I buy a computer

If this laptop doesnt support my requirements can you please let me know what HP laptop does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I copied and pasted the reference information right out of the pdf manual for the model name information that you provided in the original post.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

There are two soDIMM slots.

What kind of processor intensive work will you be doing and what is the top of your budget for a notebook?

If you want a beast of a notebook and money is no object, consider an enterprise class portable workstation (WX class) or a top of the line HP Omen.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

From the notebook's manual, it supports 16GB.

When you configure it prior to purchase, that would be the best time to make sure it had 16GB.  

Upgrading the memory on your own involves some risk since it requires a great deal of disassembly of the notebook to access the soDIMM slots.

"

Memory
Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable
DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support
Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following
configurations:
16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)
12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)
8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)
6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1)
4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)

"

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thanks for your reply, I tried searching for the manual and all I got was this page

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/9068229/model/10110434/manuals

I downloaded the .pdf that said user manual but I am unable to see the section for myself where it says that the upgrade or support up to 16GB RAM is supported

Can you help me out here and let me know where you got this information.

Thanks for all your help so far!

btw how many DIMM SLOTS does the computer have?

HP Recommended

I copied and pasted the reference information right out of the pdf manual for the model name information that you provided in the original post.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

There are two soDIMM slots.

What kind of processor intensive work will you be doing and what is the top of your budget for a notebook?

If you want a beast of a notebook and money is no object, consider an enterprise class portable workstation (WX class) or a top of the line HP Omen.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

I am sorry if I am misunderstanding you but the  link you gave me seems to be for the "HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel) Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook". This version seem to be different from  HP PAV 15 - AB551TX i7

the computer that I am interested is the HP PAV 15 - AB551TX i7.

I need to be able to run multiple virtualized servers for work related things.

So I am thinking an

- x64

- 16GB RAM

- Corei7

computer is the best bet

Thanks for all your help so far

HP Recommended

That is the right Manual. The laptop you are asking about may not have the Star Wars badging but it is mechanically and physically the same components. 

Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

The laptop should be fine for your stated needs and as you suggest is a lot of hardware for the price point. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Provost and Huffer you guys have helped me out a lot!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.