Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6700 FE811UA
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I have what is essentially a dv6985se hp pavilion notebook pc.  The case is the copper colored model special edition.  Because the notebook's motherboard is (lack of a better way to explain it), "tatooed" with windows vista, I have tried to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit sp1 and cannot up date windows update in spite of many trouble shooting attempts. So, my ultimate question is there a motherboard more modern, say like the dv6163cl, I have in a newer model notebook I own.  The dv6700 FE11UA in question here is a model I want to keep using in hopes of upgrading what ever I need to upgrade inside THIS UNIT that will work??  Any and all suggestions would help me greatly in my choices if any. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nothing I have with Windows 7 has been updating since July 31 when the free Windows 10 ended. Have you tried Autopatcher or WSUS Offline update tool? 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The motherboard you have should support Windows 7 just fine. I have a similiar vintage laptop that shipped with Vista that I have been running Windows 7 on for several years.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is- but it seems you have upgraded to Windows 7 with success but can not use Windows Update. Is that correct?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for responding so quickly, lately I've been waiting so long with everything that I anticipated an answer in a week or so...  Regarding your response to me: I did in fact upgrade to Windows 7, registered the new key with Microsoft, double checked all my drivers again, then checked internet explorer which also upgraded then clicked window update.  Left in on continuiously for five straight days, and nothing.  I have spent an addional 4 days reading forums, trying many different solutions, and still after an additional  two straight days of letting windows update, nothing.  I know from belarc advisor that this unit requires 215 more updates, important and critical.  The laptop downloads anything else I want with no problem, and searches anything I ask.  But will not update.  At this point, I am willing to upgrade the motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu, chipset; it really doesn't matter.  I love my other laptop, never a problem since I bought new.  I would just as soon take my loses with the windows update and put a motherboard that is more current in the case if I could be sure that structurely and what ever else needs to be considered, fits.  What do you think CherylG?

HP Recommended

Nothing I have with Windows 7 has been updating since July 31 when the free Windows 10 ended. Have you tried Autopatcher or WSUS Offline update tool? 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

HP Recommended

On a new Windows 7 install you need two updates manually installed first to get the rest working. (I think MS is trying to discourage folks from continuing using Win 7)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

HP Recommended

Hello again, just have to say, thank you, it's nice not to have to troubleshoot all alone now, nice to talk to someone.  I down loaded the mentioned KB's, now the waiting game.  "searching for updates on this computer"...  I will let you know how that pans out.  Thanks again, hopefully, talk to you again?

HP Recommended

Good luck! Yes, we are always here ready and willing to help. May not always be as prompt as today since most of us have "day" jobs but someone will answer you.

HP Recommended

If for some reason the two kb files do not jumpstart your Windows Update progress try one of the tools mentioned by @Huffer earlier. It may now be something to do with Windows 10 dumping the free upgrade and MS trying harder to convince folks to purchase it. I have only used Autopatcher but it worked well in old faithful XP.

HP Recommended

Hello Sir, thank you for your input concerning my windows update issue.  I visited the website WSUS Offline Update.  It has proven to be an incredible tool.  This old laptop updated completely in less than half an hour...  Amazing to say the least.  I have in the past installed many windows os on a lot of computers for family members, and always waited, hours, sometimes days.  It is so nice and refreshing to learn something new everyday, especially this. Thank you, Thank you.....  I encourage all who have this issue not to hesitate to use this tool.  I went back and donated to this website out of pure happiness.   Have a great and safe day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.