Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a 255 G7 laptop (Prod I/D 1B7K2ES) fitted with a 512GB SATA SSD which is getting rather full. I ued the Crucial scanner to determine the hardware profile of the laptop and to recommend a 1TB drive to replace the originall it suggested a 2.5" SSD. I also looked at a couple of videos on YouTube which gave a run through of what looked to be a very straightforward task. Just to be sure, I also  had a look at HP's tech support web pages and noted that this machine was indeed fitted with a 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD. I therefore purchased a suiable drive and proceeded to install it only to find that the 2.5" bay was empty - not even a suitable connector! In fact there was no connector at all although it was easy to see where one would have been with a 'conventionsl' 2.5" SSD. After a couple of seconds I realised that the laptop was fitted with an ADATA NWMe drive. I used to be a UNIX techie working on very large corporate systems which used SCSI drives for internat storage but was never involved with  physical hardware upgrades, only the occasional reconfiguration of the OS. So I am completely at a loss to know what spec I should be looking for to perform this lowly upgrade. Sorry to go on at some length with this request but happy to provide any further info you might find useful. I took a photo of the existing drive which shows the drive's details but I don't see any way to upload one 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>>> or purchase a 1TB NVMe unit and put the 2.5" SSD in the spares box.

@John-noddy 

I would follow this route. An mentioned before, no available part(s) for you tho ADD.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Perly-King 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06194380

It does NOT have dual storage options and the M.2 slot supports BOTH SATA and NVMe PCIe 3x4.

>>>> this machine was indeed fitted with a 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD

The 255 G7 series has dozens of different models/products, each machine can have 2.5" HDD/SSD OR M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD but NOT BOTH. 

Your machine has M.2 storage therefore the 2.5" bay is empty. No available part for you to add anything. One option now is to upgrade existing 512GB SATA SSD to 1TB or 2TB.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your very quick response. I wrote my question when I was feeling very tired after a very demanding day so I don't believe I described the problem very clearly so perhaps it would be better if I started again from the top:

Both Crucial's scan utility and HP's documentation indicated that a 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD was required so I bought one and cloned the existing C:\ drive.

I completely understand that you can't have both a NVMe AND a 2.5" SATA SSD installed together - it is very much a one or the other choice. Having purchased the 2.5" unit I thought I would like to use it and store the NVMe unit in the spares box.

The problem is that, although the space to accommodate the 2.5" unit is clearly visible, there doesn't appear to be any SATA connector or securing bracket around that void. I even removed the battery just to make sure that there wasn't anything hiding under there!

I have mulled over the possibility of purchasing the necessary parts to enable me to install the new drive - if indeed this really is a possiblity - or purchase a 1TB NVMe unit and put the 2.5" SSD in the spares box.

Sorry not to have made myself clear to begin with - I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Moral - always open the case and have a look at what's there before jumping to conclusions!

HP Recommended

>>> or purchase a 1TB NVMe unit and put the 2.5" SSD in the spares box.

@John-noddy 

I would follow this route. An mentioned before, no available part(s) for you tho ADD.

Regards

BH

HP Recommended

Accept as Solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.