Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all! I purchased a custom (added more RAM) Pavilion 17t laptop, and it arrived on Tuesday.  I really like it, except for the fact that the battery only stays charged for two hours - it takes two hours for it to fully charge when plugged in, I unplug and it takes two hours for the battery to deplete to 0.

Both Windows and HP software is up to date, my screen is on 50%, battery saver is set to kick in when the battery hits 50%, location is turned off, I'm using Edge browser.

Is this normal for a brand-new laptop? The battery diagnostic says the battery is "OK". It's 57 days old and has gone through 6 cycles out of 300. How long can I just leave the laptop plugged in? Does doing that hurt the battery? This is going to by my main computer, so I won't be moving it around too much. Leaving the screen on 50 is really too dark for me...at least with it plugged in I could increase that.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

2 hours is not unusual for a 17 inch laptop. You do not give the model number but if you have an i7 processor, dedicated video card and both a hard drive and SSD plus an optical drive you have a lot going on. Batteries are slim now and do not have as many cells as they used to. You can leave it plugged in all the time. The battery is smart and will turn off the charging. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

2 hours is not unusual for a 17 inch laptop. You do not give the model number but if you have an i7 processor, dedicated video card and both a hard drive and SSD plus an optical drive you have a lot going on. Batteries are slim now and do not have as many cells as they used to. You can leave it plugged in all the time. The battery is smart and will turn off the charging. 

HP Recommended

It was a custom so I'm not sure the model number would match up to anything. It's an i5 quad-core with an SSD drive, and I think the video card is dedicated. Darn....I was really hoping for more than two hours, but I guess that makes sense. Glad to know I can leave it plugged in without doing any damage.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.